Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

WA Woman Tried to Sell Newborn Baby at Taco Bell for $500

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. | Last updated on

Heidi Lynn Knowles is an interesting person.

The 36-year-old woman from Vancouver, Washington was arrested on Thursday night after she tried to sell her 3-day-old son.

Inside a Taco Bell.

For $500.

A woman called 911 to report that Knowles had handed her the newborn and then offered to sell him for $500, reports The Columbian.

Though she denies these allegations, another witness and a Taco Bell employee corroborated the baby-selling story.

Currently being held on other outstanding warrants, the paper reports that the Sheriff's Office is urging Clark County prosecutors to charge Heidi Lynn Knowles with baby selling, but no decision has been made.

Oddly enough, Washington's criminal code has a provision that deals specifically with "baby selling" and "baby buying."

It makes it illegal to sell or purchase a child unless it's between parents, involves a designated agency or the state, is mandated by court order, or is pursuant to a surrogacy agreement.

Such a crime is a Class C felony, and carries with it up to 5 years and/or a fine up to $10,000.

Interestingly enough, Knowles could have avoided this entire situation if she had taken advantage of Washington's safe haven law.

State law places no criminal liability on a parent of an infant younger than 72-hours who leaves her child with a qualified person at an emergency room, a fire station, or a rural health clinic.

But perhaps the alleged offer wasn't about the baby's welfare and Heidi Lynn Knowles just needed the money?

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard