Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Woman Wins $560M Powerball, Sues for Anonymity

By Jeffrey Yano, Esq. on February 07, 2018 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

You wish you had problems like this. The New Hampshire woman who hit the $560 million Powerball jackpot last month has sued the state's lottery commission -- asking to remain anonymous. Her lawsuit claims disclosure would "constitute a significant invasion of privacy."

"A Huge Mistake"

According to the complaint, filed in New Hampshire State court, the anonymous "Jane Doe" purchased the winning ticket at Reed's Ferry Market and experienced "awe, disbelief, and an unexpected one: panic" upon realizing that she'd won. After visiting the lottery's website and reading instructions, she printed her name, address, and phone number and then signed the ticket.

Sounds good so far, right? The "huge mistake," according to the lawsuit, came from signing the winning lottery ticket before realizing she would lose virtually all of her privacy. "Due to the size of the award," the complaint reads, "petitioner seeks to have her [identifying information] remain exempt from disclosure" under New Hampshire law.

Which we get can be a problem, but not one $560 million can't help alleviate a little, surely?

Gambling on a Lottery Lawsuit

The lawsuit seeks to prevent the New Hampshire lottery from disclosing her identifying information. That's something that might have been possible had she used a trust to sign the winning ticket, as a lawyer later advised her. But under the state's lottery law, once the ticket is signed it's too late for that.

The ticket still hasn't been submitted to the commission pending the outcome in court.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard