Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Applebee's Serves Toddler Alcohol by Mistake

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on April 12, 2011 12:48 PM

Falling asleep at the dinner table and hyperactivity are par for the course for any normal 15-month-old toddler.

But when you add in talking to the walls, a parent has a right to be concerned.

And concerned they were--especially when they found out that Applebee's had served the young boy a margarita instead of the requested apple juice.

Taylor Dill-Reese, Dominic Wilson, and their young son are the family behind the Michigan Applebee's alcohol incident, reports CNN. When the toddler started exhibiting the strange behavior noted above, the two adults got curious.

Tasting his son's juice, Wilson was surprised to find that it was actually margarita mix, and that the child was drunk.

Turns out that the Applebee's alcohol incident was caused by a repurposed and mislabeled apple juice container.

Despite having a blood alcohol content level of .10, the Associated Press reports that the toddler did not suffer any severe injuries.

Applebee's was clearly negligent--refilling an empty apple juice container with margarita mix and failing to re-label it is not exercising proper care. Despite this, you probably won't hear of a lawsuit.

Applebee's is already changing their policies--retraining servers on container identification and requiring all children's drinks to be poured from individual containers at the table. This indicates that they know they were in the wrong.

Because further discussion will ruin the chain's family-friendly image, chances are the Applebee's alcohol incident has already been settled. It's likely that the company has offered up a sum of money to keep the incident out of the press.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard