Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Tree Branch Lawsuit: Google Engineer Sues Central Park

By Minara El-Rahman | Last updated on

The NY Post reports the wife of a Google engineer injured by a falling tree branch has sued the city of New York for $120 million dollars.

Sasha Balir-Goldensohn is still injured from a falling tree branch that fell on the engineer back in July 29, 2009. The falling tree branch struck Mr. Blair-Goldensohn in the head. 

According to the New York Times, Mr. Blair-Goldensohn was walking alone near a Central Park entrance when the tree branch struck him.

The NY Post quotes the attorney representing the Google engineer in the tree branch lawsuit as saying, "Sasha sustained severe brain damage, spinal fractures and spinal-cord damage resulting in paralysis, respiratory and other serious injuries, all of which have required multiple operations and his continued hospitalization to this day."

Mr. Blair-Goldensohn's wife, Rebecca Min claims that the city of New York was negligent in failing to discern the dangers of rotting tree limbs. The city of New York and the Central Park Conservancy should have properly inspected and pruned park trees.

The attorney for the Google engineer told the New York Times: "An examination of the tree limb, after this terrible incident, revealed that it was dead and rotted and in real danger of breaking and falling for a long period of time prior to the incident."

It is essential to maintain property in good condition in order to protect against negligence lawsuits. According to Findlaw, if trees have visible rot, the owner of the property should trim or cut down the rotted limbs before they fall.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard