Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

How to Sell at Farmers' Markets

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on September 01, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

If you're wondering how to sell at farmers' markets, you're at the right place.

With increasing popularity and markets moving beyond produce to include vendors selling pre-packaged and hot foods, services and crafts, selling your product at a year round or seasonal market could be just the thing your business needs.

But before you jump in and approach your local market manager, you will first need to ensure that you have all your ducks in a row.

Depending on where you live, to sell at farmers' markets you may need one or more of the following:

  • Vendor's license
  • Resale license
  • Grower's permit
  • Health inspection

Your state agricultural department, county health department, and city will be able to provide more information about how to obtain each of the items above along with any other unlisted documentation.

Additionally, you will need to research the laws regulating the product you wish to sell.

For instance, California has enacted special rules for the sale of fruit, nuts and vegetables, and also specifically regulates the sale of alcoholic beverages at farmers' markets.

Food and homemade products that may carry bacteria also tend to be heavily regulated, and may also require special labels.

Once you are aware of your jurisdiction's laws and have acquired all proper documentation, the next step is to contact your local market managers, who will provide you with information about their specific market policies.

From there, follow instructions, and you should be legally ready to sell at farmers' markets.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard