Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Legal for SF to Ban the Sale of All Pets?

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on June 28, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Though the proposal started off as an attempt to end puppy mills and kitten factories, San Francisco's Humane Pet Acquisition Proposal has morphed into an incredible attempt to completely ban pet sales within the city's borders.

Yes, even goldfish.

While some are shaking their heads, pigeonholing the proposal as just another in San Francisco's long line of strange laws, others are now questioning their business' future.

Though the proposal aims to ban pet sales to prevent animal cruelty and overpopulation, it still permits the adoption of animals, the importation of purchased animals from outside city limits, and the sale of live animals for the purpose of human consumption.

This does not leave a lot of room for people who earn a living sell pets, even though very few do so inside the city.

Indeed, only 4 stores in the city sell dogs, while none sell cats, reports the Chicago Sun-Times. Other pets can generally be purchased at the scattered big box pet stores across the city.

So, how does this relate to you and your business?

At its very essence, this proposal, backed by animal rights supporters, demonstrates just how important it is for small businesses to work with activists.

There are dozens of better ways to address animal rights and overcrowding in the city without overburdening business owners, yet those options seem to have been ignored.

Business owners need to get in there, negotiate and be heard or risk having their own city attempt to ban pet sales. Or something more important to their livelihoods.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard