FindLaw Strategist's Top 10 Practice Tips From 2017
Over the past year, the FindLaw writers have done their best to impart wisdom gleaned from across the internet about the best tips for legal practitioners. From finding free CLEs to discovery tips to simply keeping your desk clutter free, we know there's an ever-changing landscape of best practices for the practice of law.
Since we know that most practitioners are too busy to keep up with all the wisdom all year long, below you can find 10 of the top practice tips from the FindLaw Strategist blog from 2017.
1. Where to Get Free Online CLE Credits
You know you need some CLE credits, so why not just get a few for free, online?
2. How to Leave Work at the Office -- and Not Worry About It
Worrying about clients is part of the job, sometimes. But it's pretty mission critical that you can leave your worries at the office and unwind on your time-off.
3. What to Do When a Witness Is Blowing a Deposition
If you haven't been in this situation before, consider yourself lucky, as witnesses are renowned for blowing depositions. Knowing what to do as it's happening can be mission critical to not losing a case due to one bad depo.
4. Should Your Firm Get a Spanish-Speaking Receptionist?
Unless your client pool only includes large businesses, you should likely seek out a bilingual, or multi-lingual receptionist. In consumer facing practices, offering Spanish, or other non-English language, services can greatly increases the number of potential clients.
5. Not Your Father's E-Discovery: Emoji Evidence
Emojis are getting used in everyday communications, so it was only a matter of time before emojis made it into the caselaw, and now present potential problems in ediscovery.
6. Lawyers Beware: Social Justice Burnout Is Real
While caring about your work makes it much more rewarding, when a lawyer cares too much it can quickly wear them down physically.
7. The Risks of Creative Pop Culture Advertising
When trying to capitalize on a pop culture phenomenon, you might want to take a step back to confirm you're not pulling a Pepsi Super Bowl commercial-size blunder.
8. Authenticity on Social Media Is the Key to Brand Success
Consumers know that businesses are maintaining a presence online in order to get their business. But that doesn't mean your business can't have personality.
9. Practical Tips to Keep Your Desk Clutter-Free
While you may have vowed to go desk-clutter-free in 2003, unless you're waiting for 2023 to roll around, you're desk probably needs some help.
10. No New Clients? Learn Critical Acquisition Strategies Now, for Free
If you made it to the bottom of the list, you might have too much time on your hands and need more clients. If that's the case, we got you covered with a free FindLaw playbook.
- Should You Take a Pretrial Vacation or Spa Day? (FindLaw's Strategist)
- Rose Bowl Surprise Results in Emergency Trial Extension (FindLaw's Strategist)
- Dealing With Difficult Opposing Counsel (FindLaw's Strategist)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.