How to Be Happy at Work: Tips for Lawyers
Lawyers generally are thought to fall into two camps: those who went into law to "change the world" and those who went into it driven by greed. No surprise, but it seems like money isn't make greedy lawyers much happier.
Money aside, work should be rewarding. If you don't feel happy to go to work, here are a few tips that can help:
- Make Your Own Space: Spend the time to customize your space and to make it your own. Fortunately, one can simulate being someplace else through the judicious use of background noise and headsets.
- Organization: It is extremely easy to become disorganized. Organization, however, can help reduce stress because it frees up your mind to spend less energy on finding your work, and more time on actually getting the work done.
- Foster Relationships: A close relationship at work can be a great morale boost because you can find someone else who shares in your suffering, so to speak. Hopefully work is very rewarding
Finding Purpose in Your Work
If happiness at work could be summed up in a single word, 'purpose' would probably be the most appropriate. We know it sounds cliched, but it's true. It takes a tremendous amount of bravery to step away from a well-paying job to one that pays less but gives one more opportunity for purpose. Sometimes, your psyche will make the choice for you -- through exhaustion. If you're a well paid lawyer and you're thinking of leaving, be honest yourself and ask why. We're willing to bet it's because you've lost all enthusiasm for your work and you hate getting up in the morning.
If you find meaning in your work, the work itself will be value.
- Happy Lawyers? (Above the Law)
- A Happy Lawyer Is a Good Lawyer: 5 Ways to Get Happy Today (FindLaw's Strategist)
- Make Your Law Librarians Happy by Giving Them More Work, Really (FindLaw's Strategist)
- Should Lawyers Submit to an E-Discovery Competence Audit? (FindLaw's Strategist)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.