What Makes a Good Legal Blog Post 'Great'?
Do you want to know the secret of turning a good legal blog post into a great blog post? The answer can make a huge difference when trying to reel in potential clients.
Sharing your ideas and expertise is a good way to start, but you need to think strategically to make your law firm's blog really pay off. Here are a few strategies for legal blogging success, as suggested by FindLaw's Lawyer Marketing experts:
- Have a Well-Defined Strategy and Topic. If you have something you want to tell, tell it. Keep to your topic and offer something of value to your readers. For example, if you want to share tips for dealing with a specific legal situation, get straight to the point and provide those tips instead of dancing around the topic with unrelated and tangential information. If you are not sure about your topic, you should ask yourself what it is you want to accomplish with the post.
- Craft an Engaging Title. The sad fact is that you only have several milliseconds to grab someone's attention. And what typically will hook your reader is your title. Without an engaging title, even the best-written blog post with the most useful information may be ignored. Try to think of a title that is descriptive, concise, and speaks directly to the reader.
- Write a Compelling First Paragraph. Whatever it is you promised in your engaging title, you should deliver it in the first paragraph. A blog post is not like a novel or a movie where you can deliver the twist or nugget of information at the end. Most readers won't read to the end of your blog post. So put the important and most engaging stuff first to draw in your readers.
- Put in Persuasive Body Text. This is basically just good writing. Research your topic and write clearly. Leave out irrelevant details and reinforce your opening statements. And remember to be concise. Keep the word count to between 250 and 450 words.
Keep these tips in mind as you write to your client-base. If you would like to learn more about how FindLaw can help your law firm with blogging solutions, please contact us for a free consultation.
Follow us on Google+ by clicking here.
- Holiday Newsletters Can Build Client Relationships (FindLaw's Strategist)
- Get More Referrals With a Better Law Firm Blog (FindLaw's Strategist)
- 7 Things Attorneys 'Accidentally' Do Right in Their Practice (FindLaw's Strategist)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.