Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Blagojevich Corruption Appeal Rejected by SCOTUS

By George Khoury, Esq. on April 17, 2018 11:15 AM

Rod Blagojevich may not be the hot news topic that he once was back when he got convicted for trying to sell former President Obama's Illinois senate seat (vacated when he was sworn in as POTUS), as well as his other corruption charges. But the recent rejection of his appeal by the U.S. Supreme Court put the disgraced politician in the headlines, hopefully just one last time before he's released in half a decade.

Blagojevich was appealing to the High Court in hopes of shortening up his 14 year sentence. SCOTUS rejected the appeal, which argued that his status as a "model prisoner" should earn him some time off. However, when you get convicted on 17 out of 20 corruption charges, after a second trial, and your sentence is affirmed a couple times, chances are you don't have a chance with SCOTUS, even if you've been on the Celebrity Apprentice.

White House Intervention

As many media sources have suggested, and as has been hinted by Blagojevich's wife, the only out left for the disgraced politician (who epitomizes swamp politics) is a presidential pardon. If Trump says so, Blagojevich may be able to get out of his current residence, which according to wikipedia is the Federal Correctional Institution, Englewood.

And if you think that a presidential pardon is not going to happen, keep in mind that Blagojevich was in fact a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice. On the show, Trump claimed he showed "tremendous courage and guts." Though Blagojevich beat Sinbad, he only made it to the fourth episode before being fired. Also, recently, news broke that Trump pardoned Scooter Libby.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard