Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Jerry Sandusky Can See His Grandchildren, Judge Rules

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on February 13, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Despite protests from prosecutors, a judge has granted Jerry Sandusky permission to communicate with 11 of his 14 grandchildren. The grant comes as part of a request to modify his bail conditions.

The former Penn State coach is currently on house arrest and has been ordered to have no contact with persons under the age of 18. Up until now, Sandusky's grandchildren were part of that ban, as they are between 2 and 14 years of age.

The judge agreed to the new conditions after hearing from Sandusky's six children. They told the court they wished for him to have electronic and in-person contact with his grandchildren. They also promised that one parent would be present at all times, according to the court order.

Prosecutors provided no evidence to show that the parents would not properly ensure the safety of their children. Their consent and assurance was enough for the court to make an exception.

As noted above, these new terms only apply to 11 of Sandusky's grandchildren. Three of his grandchildren are subject to a custody dispute, and his son's ex-wife objects to any contact. The judge asked the family court to decide whether those children will see or speak to their grandfather.

Visitation with Sandusky's grandchildren wasn't the only modification made by the court. Jerry Sandusky was also given permission to receive a set number of approved adult visitors and to travel to his attorney's office to assist with his case. He can also go outside as long as he remains on his property.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard