Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Ron Artest Name Change: Wants Judge to Approve Metta World Peace

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on July 08, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Lakers fans seem to be on board, and he's already launched a media blitz, appearing on ESPN's Pardon the Interruption, but the Ron Artest name change isn't yet official, as he still has to get it past the judge.

Opting for the name Metta World Peace, one can't help but wonder whether Ron Artest, who has been known for his (to put it kindly) personality fluctuations, has lost his mind.

Is the judge going to step in and save him from himself?

If you're wondering where the Ron Artest name change came from, you can apparently blame Chad Ochocinco, and Artest's desire to be "inspirational," reports the Los Angeles Times.

He also apparently wants to utilize his name to expand his mental health awareness efforts.

"Metta" is a Buddhist word for "strong wish for the welfare and happiness of others," according to the paper.

Artest put in for this strange name change last week, but still needs to meet with a LA County Superior Court Judge on August 26.

During that hearing, the judge will ascertain Artest's rationale for the change, but little more.

As long as a name change isn't an attempt to avoid liability, commit a crime, or mislead others, it's usually fine.

Well, so long as it isn't inherently confusing, obscene, or offensive, such as a swear word or racial slur.

Metta World Peace may be strange, but it doesn't appear to be fradulent or on the list of no-no's, so it's likely that the Ron Artest name change will be granted, and you'll be seeing "World Peace" on the back of his Lakers jersey soon.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard