Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Survey: 2019 Will Be Another Year of Tech Investment for Lawyers

By William Vogeler, Esq. | Last updated on

According to a new survey, most lawyers will continue investing in technology this year.

The American Bar Association announced the survey results at the recent ABA Tech Show in Chicago. A third party company put together the report, which said 67 percent of the respondents plan to use more tech in their practices in 2019.

It was somewhat surprising, given that lawyers are known to be slow in adapting to new technology. On the other hand, there's not much choice if last year's tech is already obsolete.

Kristin Tyler, co-founder of LawClerk, said the survey shows "the bright spots and shortcomings" of the profession. The results were based on responses from 160 legal practitioners.

"As a practicing lawyer myself, I'm excited to see the agility and speed of adoption taking place in our industry," she said in a press release.

According to the survey, respondents were most interested in artificial intelligence. They were also focused on court technology and stricter privacy laws.

For others, however, legal tech hasn't quite arrived. Some say the reason lawyers are slow to adapt is because it doesn't work.

Mary Juetten, writing for Law Technology Today, said legal tech has many limitations. Blaming lawyers is not the solution.

"So let me turn the tables on legal tech companies," she said. "What technology should we lawyers be adopting, and just how are we slow to adapt?"

That was a few years ago, so the survey represents a change. At least for now, or until the next software updates come out.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard