Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

10th Cir. Halts Albuquerque Rapid Transit at 11th Hour

By Jonathan R. Tung, Esq. | Last updated on

The Tenth Circuit issued a temporary injunction that halted a rapid transit project in its tracks just days before shovels were set to hit the dirt. It's a feather in Albuquerque Mayor Richard Berry's cap after his previous failed attempts to stop the ART.

This is hardly the last anyone will hear of this legal battle. After all, $120 million has already been sunk into this thing.

Small Business Opposition

From the very beginning, there has been pushback from small businesses and local property owners. When the attorney for the local opposing interests got involved, he filed an appeal pushing the injunction further. It looks like Boyd's efforts came just in the nick of time.

City attorneys had previously stated that construction on the Albuquerque Rapid Transit was set to begin as early as this week. Talk about timing, because construction is now on hold per the injunction.

A Big Project

The ART is a nine-mile network of bus-only lanes and bus stations that will run up the middle of Central Avenue. The cost is estimated at between $119 and $125 million, but the federal government is on the hook for most of the money.

Opponents are not entirely opposed to the project in principal, but they do take issue with what they perceive to be corner-cutting and cooking of books as to the impact of the project. Central Avenue is already heavily used and the introduction of a new transit system could disrupt businesses in a negative way, small business owners have said.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

Response sent, thank you

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard