Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Sue a Prepaid Debit Card Company Involving Federal Benefits?

Yes, if you are the victim of fraud, you may be able to sue your prepaid debit card company if they fail to reimburse you for the money you are out. You must follow the company's terms and conditions procedures, including properly and timely notifying the company of fraudulent transactions. Still, as long as you do, you may have claims for breach of contract and violation of a federal statute.

If you struggle to get reimbursed for money stolen from your account, you should talk to a consumer protection attorney.

Using Prepaid Debit Cards for Your Federal Benefits

Prepaid accounts are among the fastest-growing consumer financial products in the United States. Through Direct Express, a direct deposit option, you can use them with your government benefits, such as Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and veteran's benefits.

You can get a MasterCard for your Direct Express account through Comerica, which Conduent Business Services operates. You can use your card like a credit card at ATMs and retail stores and store money in your account like a checking account. Prepaid accounts are a convenient way to manage your money without opening an account at a bank or a credit union. With a prepaid account, you cannot spend what you don't have.

They also provide some protection against garnishment from debt collectors. Generally, creditors can't garnish many federal benefits such as Social Security except for back child support and government debts. Unlike bank accounts or credit union accounts, prepaid account information doesn't get reported to credit bureaus. A creditor cannot garnish an account it cannot find.

You May Be a Victim of Fraud

Someone who gets your account information can steal your benefits from your prepaid account. Imagine this scenario: Suppose you have retired and receive Social Security. You get your benefits deposited into your prepaid account each month. You're frugal, so you accumulate, let's say, $30,000 or so.

Somehow, someone in Bermuda gets your card number. They drain your entire account. You notify Conduent of the fraud. They cancel your card and conduct an investigation. Even though you have never been to Bermuda, they determine that no fraud occurred and refuse to reimburse you for your loss.

You don't work; you need that money. You can't afford to lose any amount, much less 30 grand. You won't be able to get by if you don't get your benefits back. Although you complain to customer service, they politely inform you that their decision is final.

No need to panic. You may be able to sue Comerica and Conduent to recover your lost benefits under a couple of different legal theories.

Was There a Breach of Contract?

The first is for breach of contract. A contract is an exchange of promises that the law recognizes as binding and provides a remedy in court. A contract consists of three elements:

  • Offer — A promise to do or refrain from doing something in exchange for something else
  • Acceptance — Objective assent to the terms of an offer
  • Consideration — Something bargained for and received by the person who made the offer (the promisor) from the person who accepted it (the promisee)

If you have a contract with someone and they fail to live up to its terms, a court can order them to pay you enough money to put you in the position you would be in if they did keep their promise. These are expectation damages. You might recover more sums, depending on your claim.

Terms of Service

When you set up your prepaid debit card account for your government benefits, you entered into a binding agreement with the card issuer, Comerica. According to that agreement, as long as you notify the company within two days of a fraudulent transaction, the most you can be out is $50. If you fail to notify Comerica within two days, and it can prove it could have stopped someone from using your card or card number, the most you can be out is $500.

Ensure you notify Comerica as soon as you learn you've lost your card or someone stole your card number. If you do, and Comerica says you're on the hook for purchases or withdrawals that exceed those amounts (depending on when you notify it), you may be able to get much of your money back in a lawsuit against them.

Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA)

The second claim you may be able to sue for comes from a federal statute, the Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA). The EFTA is a federal law that protects consumers when they transfer funds electronically. It provides a way to fix transaction errors and limits your liability for a lost or stolen prepaid debit card.

A lawyer could give detailed legal advice about your rights and responsibilities under the statute. Generally, the EFTA allows consumers to challenge fraud and other account errors if they meet certain time limits.

Notifying Comerica within those time limits will limit the amount you could be on the hook for. And if Comerica doesn't live up to its responsibilities under the statute, it may have to pay you three times the amount it owes you. In legal terms, this is treble damages.

Pending Class Action: Carnley v. Conduent Business Services

You would not be the first person to sue Comerica and Conduent in connection with Direct Express. A group of people has filed a lawsuit in Texas in a class action under Carnley v. Conduent Business Services. They, on behalf of many other account holders (including you, perhaps), claim that Comerica and Conduent failed to live up to their contractual and statutory responsibilities, which resulted in the loss of many people's federal benefits.

As of May 16, 2022, the court is considering a request to let the people bringing the lawsuit represent many other account holders. This request is a motion for class certification. If the judge agrees ("certifies a class"), then everyone within the class of other account holders may get some relief without filing their own lawsuits.

If you get notified that you are a class member but don't want to be, you can "opt out" and file your own lawsuit. The notification will have instructions on what to do to opt out. If you don't opt out, you may be bound by whatever relief the judge gives the class. That could be a part of a settlement, a monetary judgment, or, if they lose, nothing.

Class actions can get quite complex, even for experienced attorneys. If you want to know more about class actions generally or your rights in light of this proposed class action, you should consult an experienced class action attorney.

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)

You don't have to file a lawsuit just yet. If Comerica and Conduent aren't getting back to you or are giving you the run-around, you could submit a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). The CFPB is an agency of the federal government dedicated to ensuring that consumers get treated fairly by banks and other financial institutions. They enforce federal consumer financial laws.

Filing a complaint with the CFPB is free and easy. You can submit one electronically on its website. Ensure you have all important details, including dates, amounts, and relevant documents.

After you submit a complaint, they will send it to Conduent and Comerica and work to get you a response. Most companies respond within 15 days. If they need more time, the CFPB will let you know. You should get a response within 60 days.

If You Have Trouble With Direct Express, A Lawyer Can Help

More than 4.5 million Americans use the Direct Express program. It provides a great way to manage your federal benefits, especially if you do not have a bank account, such as with Bank of America or Wells Fargo. There are many benefits to cardholders who use this program.

But with a big program, there are bound to be occasional problems. If you have trouble with your prepaid debit card account, consider speaking with an experienced consumer protection attorney. They can help you better understand your rights, guide you through the claims process, and may be able to help you get your money back if you can't do it on your own.

Was this helpful?

Next Steps

Contact a qualified attorney to help you navigate the challenges presented by litigation.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options