Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Kansas Small Claims Courts

In Kansas, the District Court hears small claims actions, per Kansas Statutes Ch. 61, Article 27, Sections 1-14. Amounts at issue are limited to $4,000. Lawyers are not allowed to represent parties in small claims proceedings prior to the entry of judgment.


  • Kansas Landlords Handbook From Housing & Credit Counseling, Inc. (HCCI). Explains procedures for small claims generally with a slant toward collecting unpaid rent.
  • Johnson County District Court Small claims information and forms.
  • Kansas Judicial Branch - 4th District - Small Claims Information Includes instructions and forms for filing a small claims case.
  • Small Claims Court [PDF] From the Kansas Bar Association. Includes basic information about the small claims process.

Last updated on 05/24/2010

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified attorney to help you with preparing for and dealing with going to court.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options