Tennessee Small Claims Courts
Created by FindLaw's team of legal writers and editors | Last reviewed June 20, 2016
This article has been written and reviewed for legal accuracy, clarity, and style by FindLaw’s team of legal writers and attorneys and in accordance with our editorial standards.
The last updated date refers to the last time this article was reviewed by FindLaw or one of our contributing authors. We make every effort to keep our articles updated. For information regarding a specific legal issue affecting you, please contact an attorney in your area.
In Tennessee, Statute 16-15-501 (Title 16, Ch. 15, Part 5, Section 501) aestablishes that the Court of General Sessions hears small claims actions involving disputes for $15,000 or less. In counties of 700,000 or more. people, the Court hears small claims disputes for up to $25,000. However, there is no dollar limit for cases involving unlawful detainer and the recovery of personal property.
- Tennessee Communities Links to counties and to cities, if available. From the State of Tennessee.
- Bradley County Court Info
- Knox County General Sessions Court
- Nashville and Davidson County General Sessions Court
- Shelby County General Sessions Court
- Wilson County General Sessions Court
Also, Tennessee County Web Sites From the County Technical Assistance Service.
- Guide to the Tennessee Courts [PDF] Includes information about the General Sessions Court.
Last updated on 05/19/11
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.
Contact a qualified attorney to help you with preparing for and dealing with going to court.