Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Search for legal issues
For help near (city, ZIP code or county)
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location

Tennessee Small Claims Courts

In Tennessee, Statute 16-15-501 (Title 16, Ch. 15, Part 5, Section 501) aestablishes that the Court of General Sessions hears small claims actions involving disputes for $15,000 or less. In counties of 700,000 or more. people, the Court hears small claims disputes for up to $25,000. However, there is no dollar limit for cases involving unlawful detainer and the recovery of personal property.


Also, Tennessee County Web Sites From the County Technical Assistance Service.

  • Guide to the Tennessee Courts [PDF] Includes information about the General Sessions Court.

Last updated on 05/19/11

Next Steps

Contact a qualified attorney to help you with preparing for and dealing with going to court.

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Find a Lawyer

More Options