Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

When Your Lease Ends: Sample Letter to Landlord

Sample Letter to Landlord

When your lease ends, you have to decide whether you'd like to move out, continue renting on a month-by-month basis (depending on your agreement and state law), or sign a new lease. While the landlord may choose to end your lease or raise your rent moving forward, state laws generally require a 30-day or 60-day notice before the tenant must vacate the premises. In most states, tenants who stay in their rental beyond the end of a lease without signing a new one are automatically shifted to a month-by-month lease.

Regardless of your decision, it's often a good idea to communicate clearly with your landlord in writing about your intentions regarding the end of your lease. The following sections will help you determine how to navigate that process.

Don't Just Pack Up and Leave: Put it in Writing

You may have an obligation under your lease to notify your landlord of your intention to not renew your lease once it ends. It's wise to do this in writing. Although most landlords are scrupulous about maintaining and returning security deposits, the letter should remind your landlord that you expect your deposit back. As a rule, putting things in writing generally helps protect your interests (in this case, it creates a record that you asked for your deposit).

After you leave the rental unit, you may be responsible for informing your landlord, in writing, of your new address so they can send your security deposit refund to you. Again, it's wise to treat this letter as a way to remind your landlord what you expect from them.

Below are two sample letters to use under these types of circumstances.

Sample Letter to Landlord: Intention to Vacate

[your name and address]


[Your landlord's name and official address, as listed in the lease]

Re: Notice of Intent to Vacate

Dear [Landlord],

This letter will constitute written notice of my intention to vacate my apartment on [date], the end of my current lease. I am doing so because [explain the reason if you desire, such as a large increase in rent].

Please recall that I made a security deposit of $______ on [date]. I expect to receive that deposit refunded in full, since the apartment is in good condition.

Very truly yours,

[Your name]

Sample Letter to Landlord: Request for Security Deposit

[Your name and new address]


[Your landlord's name and official address, as listed in the lease]

Re: Request to Return Security Deposit

Dear [Landlord],

Pursuant to [applicable state statute], please forward my security deposit and accrued interest to my new address, [new address].

I hope it is your intention to return the whole of my security deposit and interest as required by law. If you feel that you are entitled to retain any portion of the deposit, you must provide me with an itemized statement of all charges. If you attempt to retain any portion of my deposit without adequate reason, this letter is written notice of my intention to pursue my claims to the entirety of the deposit.

Very truly yours,

[Your name]

Additional Sample Letters to Your Landlord (For Purchase)

Writing a Letter to Your Landlord When Your Lease Ends? Consider Getting Legal Help

Tenancy issues are complicated and they deeply impact every aspect of your life. If you're involved in a dispute that's jeopardizing your housing, you may want to explore your legal options. Consider speaking with a local landlord-tenant law attorney to learn more.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified real estate attorney to help you navigate any landlord-tenant issues.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options