Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Guided Legal Forms & Services: Sign In

Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Hawaii Legal Ages Laws

State laws recognize the capacity of individuals to enter into marriage or otherwise make legal decisions, which includes both mental capacity and maturity. Those under the age of majority, or "minors," are considered incapable of such legal decisions. Hawaii legal ages laws state that a minor is eligible for emancipation upon completion of a legal marriage.

The specifics of Hawaii legal ages laws are listed in the following table and in the descriptive summary below. See FindLaw's Emancipation of Minors section for additional articles and resources.

Age of Majority 18 (§577-1)
Eligibility for Emancipation Legal marriage (§577-25)
Contracts by Minors Disaffirmance must be made within reasonable time after reaching age of majority (1 Haw. 421)
Minors' Ability to Sue Guardian ad litem, next friend (§551-2)
Minors' Consent to Medical Treatment For counseling services for alcohol or drug abuse (§577-26); if for pregnancy, venereal disease or family planning services (§577A-2)

Note: State laws are constantly changing -- contact a Hawaii family law attorney or conduct your own legal research to verify the state law(s) you are researching.

Age of Majority in Hawaii

Hawaii's age of majority is 18. When you turn 18, you will gain many of the rights and responsibilities that most other adults have. Some of your new rights include the right to vote, and you will now be able to get credit cards, and purchase cigarettes and other regulated items. You will also have new responsibilities, because your parents are no longer responsible for your actions. If you cause someone harm, you may be sued to pay for their damages. You may also be called to serve on a jury.

Purchasing Alcohol in Hawaii

Hawaii follows the alcohol laws prescribed by the federal government. If Hawaii did not adhere to these laws, it would lose a lot of federal highway funding. So, like all other states in the union, the minimum age to purchase alcohol in Hawaii is 21. Hawaii, like other states on the mainland, is a zero tolerance state. This means that if a minor is caught with any amount of alcohol in their system while driving, they get an automatic DUI regardless of the BAC limit of the state for adults 21 and over.

Eligibility for Emancipation in Hawaii

Emancipation is when a person under 18 becomes a legal adult. This can happen in a few ways. One of the most common methods is through a court procedure. Emancipation also occurs when the person enters into a legal marriage, as the Hawaii statute lays out.

Legal Age and Lawsuits

Generally, a person has to be 18 years old to start a lawsuit. If you are not 18, your parent or legal guardian will sue on your behalf. If the lawsuit is over a contract, the terms of the contract might not be enforced against you if you entered into the contract before you turned 18.

If you would like to know more about the rights and obligations you have as an adult, you may want to speak with an attorney. The Findlaw Lawyer Directory has many attorneys with experience determining how age affects the application of laws.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • Family law matters are often complex and require a lawyer
  • Lawyers can protect your rights and seek the best outcome

Get tailored family law advice and ask a lawyer questions. Many attorneys offer free consultations.


 If you need an attorney, find one right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options