Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Idaho Legal Ages Laws

For some kids, nothing seems better than turning 18 and becoming an adult. At that point, you get the freedom to do (nearly) anything you want without anyone telling you that you can't do it. In reality, you'll probably always have the pressure of family and friends trying to urge you to do or not do certain things.

However, there are some exciting changes for young folks in Idaho. Now, starting at the age of 15, you can get a graduated license. At 21 years of age, you can finally legally drink. Each year seems to bring a new privilege or right.

Minors and the Law in Idaho

The following chart lists and explains some of the main legal ages laws in Idaho.

Age of Majority In Idaho, a minor is defined as someone under the age of 18.
Eligibility for Emancipation
  • If a person has been married, they are emancipated or considered an adult. They are considered legally competent to contract for goods or services, rent, buy a home, and sue or be sued.
  • Under 18-604(d), a person in the military is emancipated when it comes to issues of seeking an abortion.
Contracts by Minors
  • Under § 32-104, minors may not void valid contracts under many circumstances.
  • Under § 41-1807, any person at or over the age of 15 may enter into contracts for annuities or for insurance of any kind.
Minors' Ability to Sue A minor or otherwise legally incompetent person can sue or be sued through a guardian, conservator, or other fiduciary, or a guardian ad litem or next friend appointed by the court.
Minors' Consent to Medical Treatment
  • A minor who is at least 14 years old can consent to being treated for infectious, contagious, or communicable diseases, such as TB or STDs, without the permission of a parent or guardian.
  • Minors can also consent to abortion if they have been emancipated by marriage or are an active duty military servicemember. Otherwise, they need parental permission.
  • Under § 16-1627, a court may authorize emergency medical care for a minor that is not under the care of a parent, legal guardian, or custodian can't be found.
Alcohol & Tobacco At the age of 21, you can legally purchase alcohol and tobacco.

Note: State laws are being updated all the time. You should contact a lawyer or conduct your own legal research to verify these state laws.

Research the Law

Consider reviewing the following resources for more information about laws in Idaho, including those related to age:

Related Resources

Consider reviewing the following resources, as well, for more information about age-related laws and legal issues:

Need More Help? Contact an Attorney Today

Knowing what you can and can't do at a certain age can be confusing. Understanding age-related laws can also be confusing. If you need more help, consider contacting a qualified family law attorney in Idaho today.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • Family law matters are often complex and require a lawyer
  • Lawyers can protect your rights and seek the best outcome

Get tailored family law advice and ask a lawyer questions. Many attorneys offer free consultations.


 If you need an attorney, find one right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options