Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Free Legal Aid in Indianapolis

Last updated: September 26, 2013

Do you have a legal issue, but can’t afford to hire an attorney? There are many free or low-cost legal service options for Marion county residents. The main ways are through legal assistance programs such as the Indiana Legal Services, a nonprofit law firms providing free legal aid to low-income residents, or through other programs run by the Indiana State Bar Association. There may be income limits that apply for you to qualify for free/low-cost help. Contact the specific agency to learn more. Below is a list of several organizations available to help you.

General Law

  • American Civil Liberties Union of Indianapolis

    1031 E. Washington St.
    IN 46202

    Tel: (317) 635-4059 ext. 102

    Areas of Law: Discrimination, Election and Voting, Freedom Speech, Freedom of Religion, Immigration Rights, LGBT Rights, Privacy, Police Practices, Jail and Prison Conditions, and other issues of fair treatment by government.

    Good to Know: The ACLU does not usually assist in the following types of cases: criminal defense or post-conviction appeals, divorce or child custody disputes, property disputes, tax problems, workers compensation issues, consumer complaints, landlord-tenant disputes, building code issues and complaints about lawyers or judges.

  • Ask a Lawyer (Indiana Bar Association)

    135 N. Pennsylvania St., Suite 1500
    IN 46204

    Tel: (317) 269-2000

    Areas of Law: Criminal and Civil

    Good to Know: This is a one-day event put on by the state bar. You can meet with an attorney to ask basic legal questions for free. Call to find specific dates and times.

  • Heartland Pro Bono Council

    151 North Delaware, Suite 1800
    IN 46204

    Tel: (317) 614-5304

    Areas of Law: Civil and Family Law

    Good to Know: Heartland provides legal assistance to income-eligible clients.

  • Indiana Legal Services

    151 North Delaware, Suite 1800
    IN 46204

    Tel: (317) 631-9410

    Areas of Law: Family law, Consumer law, Senior law, Housing issues, Public benefits, Migrant Farm Workers, Homeless Representation, Immigration

    Good to Know: This is a nonprofit law firm serving low-income residents of Marion County. Legal fees are based upon income. Call for more details.

  • Indianapolis Legal Aid Society (William E. English Building)

    615 N. Alabama, Suite 122
    IN 46204

    Tel: (317) 635-9538

    Areas of Law: Bankruptcy, Domestic Violence, Family law, Consumer law, Senior law, Housing issues, Public benefits  Good to Know: Legal services are free for those who are income-eligible. A person who does not financially qualify for representation is referred panel of private attorneys who accept cases from on a reduced-fee basis.

  • Indianapolis Bar Association Legal Aid Line

    135 N. Pennsylvania St., Suite 1500
    IN 46204

    Tel: (317) 269-2000

    Areas of Law: Most areas of the law are covered by the aid line.

    Good to Know: Volunteer attorneys are available to answer basic legal questions via phone free of charge. Hours are limited.

  • Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic

    3333 N Meridian Street, Suite 201
    IN 46208

    Tel: (317) 429-4131

    Areas of Law: Landlord/Tenant, Immigration, Bankruptcy, Housing/Foreclosure, Wills/Estates, Public Benefits, Discrimination, Consumer/Debt, Tax Controversies Criminal Records Expungement, Driver’s License Issues, Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic

    Good to Know: This clinic does not accept family law or criminal cases. All services are on a first come, first served basis. Arrive early. Space is limited.


  • Bankruptcy Legal Help Line (Indiana Bar Association)

    135 N. Pennsylvania St., Suite 1500
    Indiana 46204

    Tel: (317) 269-1910

    Good to Know: This is a telephone only service. You may call for free legal advice during designated times.

Civil Rights

  • NAACP Indiana (Branch Office)

    300 E. Fall Creek Parkway North Dr.
    IN 46205

    Tel: (317)925-5127

    Areas of Law: Civil Rights, Employment, Housing, Public Benefits, Police Misconduct, and more.

    Good to Know: Legal services are available to low-income African Americans and other minority groups.

Domestic Violence and Family Law

  • Protective Order Pro Bono Project (Center for Victim and Human Rights)

    201 N. Illinois Street, 16th Floor, South Tower
    IN 46204

    Tel: (317) 610-3427

    Area of Law: Domestic Violence

    Good to Know: This is a free legal services to victims of domestic violence. Income limits apply. To be considered, you must fill out the intake form.

  • The Julian Center

    2011 North Meridian Street
    IN 46202

    Tel: (317) 941-2200

    Area of Law: Domestic Violence, Human Trafficking

    Good to Know: Julian Center offers supportive services including emergency shelter, outreach, counseling, transitional housing, affordable housing, advocacy, education,  and case management. Call to learn more.

Family Law

  • Marion County Superior Court Self-Represented Litigant Divorce Workshop (City-County Building, Family Resource Center)

    200 E. Washington Street, Room W-125
    IN 46204

    Tel: (317) 269-2222

    Areas of Law: Divorce                            

    Good to Know: This is a free divorce workshop for those who qualify based on income. You must be registered and prescreened. All screenings happen in person. No phone calls.

Immigration Law

Wills and Power of Attorney

  • Low Asset Wills Program (Indiana Bar Association)

    135 N. Pennsylvania St., Suite 1500
    IN 46204

    Tel: (414) 276-5931

    Area of Law: Wills, Power of Attorney

    Good to Know: Qualified individuals can meet privately with an attorney who will draft a last will & testament and advance directives for them.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options