Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Kansas Legal Ages Laws

Kids are always asking their parents about when they’ll finally be treating like adults. And while it’s normally up to the parents to determine the amount of independence their children should be allowed, the Sunflower State’s legal system is a bit clearer on distinguishing between minors and adults. Here is an overview of legal age laws in Kansas.

Age of Majority in Kansas

States have varying minor laws to define the "age of majority," or the age at which a citizen is considered an adult in the eyes of the law. Like most states, Kansas’s age of majority is 18 years old, or 16 if you are married. Minors may have some legal rights and responsibilities, like the ability to make hospital, medical, and surgical care decisions, as well as enter into insurance contracts if they have a non-minor so-signer.

Kansas Age Statutes

The details of Kansas’s legal age statutes are listed below.

Eligibility for Emancipation

Kansas Statutes 38-101, et seq.: Minors

At discretion of the court

Kansas Statutes: 38-109

Contracts by Minors

Valid for necessities; also for other contracts unless disaffirmed in reasonable time after majority is obtained and money, property restored

Kansas Statutes 38-102;

May consummate insurance contracts but must have consent of parents and co-signature of party over age 18

Kansas Statutes 40-237

Minors' Ability to Sue

Through infant's representative; if no representative, then through next friend or guardian ad litem

Kansas Statutes 60-217(c)

Minors' Consent to Medical Treatment

Unmarried pregnant minor may consent to hospital, medical, and surgical care

Kansas Statutes 38-123;

Or any minor over 16

Kansas Statutes 38-123b

Emancipation and the Legal Responsibilities of Minors

Kansas has a legal process by which a person under the age of 18 can apply to become a legal adult. This process, known as the “emancipation of a minor,” (or in Kansas as a “Petition for Rights of Majority”) can allow a minor to become responsible for his or her own decisions regarding education, health care, residence, and other matters. Kansas statutes list no minimum age for emancipation, and courts have the discretion to decide emancipation cases in the minor’s best interests. In criminal cases, minors will normally be treated as such until they turn 18 (or they are emancipated), especially in age and status offenses.

More Resources for Kansas Legal Ages Laws

State legal ages laws cover a variety of topics and scenarios. You can visit FindLaw’s section on Family Law for additional articles and information on this topic. You can also consult with a Kansas family law attorney in your area if you would like legal assistance regarding a juvenile case or a family law matter.

Get Legal Help from a Family Law Attorney

The legal ages laws give us guidelines regarding the legal age acceptable to engage in certain activities. However, there are times when the guidelines do not conform to your situation. Are you a minor contemplating marriage or emancipation? If you need clarification about how the legal ages laws affect you, then you should seek legal help. You can contact a Kansas family law attorney right away.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • Family law matters are often complex and require a lawyer
  • Lawyers can protect your rights and seek the best outcome

Get tailored family law advice and ask a lawyer questions. Many attorneys offer free consultations.


 If you need an attorney, find one right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options