Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Minnesota State Lotteries Laws

It doesn't matter how long the odds may be -- who can resist the allure of one little ticket taking us from late bill payments to an early retirement? Trading a couple bucks for a chance at millions is almost too much to resist. But where do our couple bucks go? And what laws regulate the games and guarantee payouts in the North Star State? Here is a quick introduction to lotteries laws in Minnesota.

Lotteries Laws

Each state that runs a lottery system has their own lottery laws that standardize everything from where, how, and to whom tickets can be sold and the time limits for claiming prizes to which programs will receive lottery revenues. Most states allocate the majority their lottery proceeds to the state's general fund, and from there it can then be earmarked for specific projects. Minnesota puts 60% of net lottery proceeds to its general fund, and the other 40% to the Environment & Natural Resources Fund.

Lotteries Laws in Minnesota

Minnesota's state lottery is over 25 years old and includes both in-state games like Gopher 5, Daily 3, and Northstar Case along with multi-state lotteries like Mega Millions, Powerball, Hot Lotto, and Monopoly Millionaire's Club. For 2013, the Minnesota lottery paid out $347M in prizes and contributed another $75M to the state's General Fund and $13M to the Game and Fish Fund. Since the lottery's inception in 1989, it has raised more than $2.4 billion in state revenue.

Minnesota's Lotteries Laws are highlighted in the following table.

Code Section

MN Statutes §349A.01, et seq.

Distribution of Lottery Revenue

15% lottery operations; 2.75% advertising; 60% prizes; rest to lottery fund/special revenue fund with 40% of these net proceeds going to Minnesota Environment and Natural Resources Trust Fund

Additional Purpose of Lottery


Lottery Prize Subject to Garnishment

For delinquent state taxes; child support; court ordered restitution; or amount due any other claimant agency

Time Limit to Claim Prize/Disposition

1 year/30% of unclaimed prize money is added to prize pools of subsequent lottery games; 70% of unclaimed money is distributed as follows: 60% to the general fund and 40% to the Minnesota environment and natural resources trust fund

Prohibited Related Activities

Sale to or purchase by minors; sale at greater price; unauthorized sale

Related Resources for State Lotteries Laws:

State lotteries regulations and the laws governing where the revenue is allocated can be confusing. You can contact a Minnesota gaming law attorney if you would like legal assistance regarding a lottery matter. You can also find additional information and resources on this topic in FindLaw's Gaming Law section.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options