Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Oklahoma Disorderly Conduct Laws

In Oklahoma, the disorderly conduct (or disturbing the peace) laws criminalize behavior that disturbs the peace and quiet by making loud noises, using profane language, fighting, or shooting a gun. These laws are broken down into two separate crimes: "disturbing the peace" and "grossly disturbing the peace." The following chart outlines these two main statutes that make up Oklahoma's disorderly conduct laws.

Code Section

Oklahoma Revised Statutes section 21-1362: Disturbing the Peace

What's Prohibited?

Willfully or maliciously disturbing the peace and quiet of any city, town, village, neighborhood, family or person by engaging in any of the following:
  • Loud or unusual noise
  • Abusive, violent, obscene, or profane language
  • Threatening to kill, inflict bodily harm, destroy property, or fight
  • Quarrelling or challenging to fight
  • Fighting
  • Shooting or brandishing a firearm, or
  • Riding a horse at an unusual speed along a public street


Misdemeanor. Punishable by a fine of up to $100 and/or imprisonment in jail for up to 30 days.


Code Section

Oklahoma Revised Statutes section 21-22: Grossly Disturbing the Peace

What's Prohibited?

Willfully committing any act that either:
  • Grossly injures another person or another person's property
  • Grossly disturbs the public peace or health, or
  • Openly outrages public decency and injures public morals


Misdemeanor. Punishable by imprisonment for up to one year and/or a fine of up to $500.

Disorderly Conduct During an Emergency

During an emergency, disorderly conduct can be particularly disruptive and dangerous. Therefore, Oklahoma has enacted a separate law that criminalizes certain types of disorderly conduct during an emergency. This law basically makes it illegal to engage in certain types of disorderly conduct or fail to disperse when told to do so during an emergency.

Engaging in disorderly conduct during an emergency: During an emergency it is illegal to engage in any of the following acts of disorderly conduct, with two or more people, with the intent to commit a felony or misdemeanor, prevent or coerce official action, or while using a firearm or other deadly weapon:

  • Fighting or engaging in violent, tumultuous, or threatening behavior
  • Making unreasonable noise
  • Making an offensive utterance, gesture, or display
  • Addressing abusive language to any person present
  • Dispersing a lawful procession or meeting of people, or
  • Creating a hazardous or physically offensive condition that doesn't serve a legitimated purpose

Violators of this law are guilty of rioting, which is a felony punishable by imprisonment for between two and ten years.

Failing to disperse during an emergency: It is also illegal in Oklahoma for a person in a public area during an emergency to refuse to leave when the authorities direct him to. Failing to disperse during an emergency is a misdemeanor offense.

Additional Resources

State laws change frequently. For case specific information regarding Oklahoma's disorderly conduct laws contact a local criminal defense attorney.


Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • Complex criminal defense situations usually require a lawyer
  • Defense attorneys can help protect your rights
  • A lawyer can seek to reduce or eliminate criminal penalties

Get tailored advice and ask your legal questions. Many Oklahoma attorneys offer free consultations.


 If you need an attorney, find one right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options