Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Free Legal Aid in Seattle

Last updated: October 25, 2013

Trying to find legal help when you are trying just to make ends meet can be a daunting task. Fortunately, there are many agencies in Seattle that can help you for free or low cost, particularly if you meet income eligibility guidelines. So whether you need assistance with a landlord/tenant issue, getting your unemployment benefits reinstated, filing bankruptcy, or some other matter, we have compiled a list of agencies and organizations that may be able to help you. Keep in mind that most of the non-profit legal aid centers can assist with civil (but not criminal) matters. If you have been charged with a criminal offense, you should start by contacting the King County Department of Public Defense.

  • King County Bar Association (Pro Bono Services Department)

    1200 5th Avenue
    Suite 600

    WA 98101

    Tel: (206) 267-7100

    Note: The King County Bar Association (KCBA) Pro Bono Association provides a variety of options to help you with your civil legal issues. They also have Neighborhood Legal Clinics, they offer residents of King County free half hour legal consultations regarding any civil legal issue. To make an appointment at one of the general clinics, call 206-267-7070 Tuesday through Thursday between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. They also have specialty legal clinics focusing on issues such as civil rights, domestic violence, immigration and more. In addition to the clinics, KCBA’s Volunteer Legal Services program offers direct representation to low-income individuals in a variety of legal areas.

  • Northwest Justice Project

    401 Second Avenue S
    Suite 407

    WA 98104

    Tel: (206) 464-1519

    Note: Northwest Justice Project (“NJP”) is Washington state’s publicly funded legal aid program. They maintain a free legal resource website which provides printable self-help packets, legal information, forms and instructions. In addition, if you need to speak to an attorney, NJP operates the “CLEAR” (Coordinated Legal Education Advice and Referral) intake and referral hotline which “serves as the statewide, centralized point of access for clients seeking free legal help, including advice, education, limited legal services, self-help materials and, where available, referrals for further representation.” Inside King County call 211 Monday through Friday 8 am to 6 pm to access the CLEAR services. Refer here for more information regarding getting legal help through NJP

  • Washington State Bar Association (Moderate Means Program)

    1325 Fourth Avenue
    Suite 600

    wa 98101

    Tel: (206) 443-9722

    Note: The Moderate Means Program through the Washington State Bar Association (WSBA) is designed to connect attorneys with individuals with family, consumer or housing law needs whose incomes are 200-400% of the Federal Poverty Level. Volunteer law students from Gonzaga University, University of Washington and Seattle University conduct the initial intake interviews and refer when appropriate to participating lawyers. You and the attorney will negotiate the final fee, but the program suggests that fees be reduced on a sliding scale basis (25%-75% reduction) based on your income level. Refer to the list of Frequently Asked Questions for additional information.

  • Northwest Immigrant Rights Project

    615 2nd Avenue
    Suite 400

    WA 98104

    Tel: (206) 587-4009

    Note: Northwest Immigrant Rights Project (NWIRP) notes that it “is the only organization in Washington State dedicated solely to strengthening the rights and well being of low-income immigrants and refugees.” If you meet their eligibility requirements, contact NWIRP by telephone (do not drop in), and they may be able to assist you with citizenship, asylum, domestic violence issues, and/or family-based immigration. If you are a detained immigrant or have a loved one who is, you may wish to refer to NWIRP’s Guide for Detained Immigrants for information on ways to defend your case.

  • Unemployment Law Project

    1904 Third Avenue
    Suite 604

    WA 98101

    Tel: (206) 441-9178

    Note: The Unemployment Law Project (ULP) provides free legal help to Washington State residents who have been denied unemployment benefits or whose award of benefits is being challenged. Their primary services are representing individuals at administrative hearings and offering advice and information through the telephone helpline.

  • Columbia Legal Services

    101 Yesler Way
    Suite 300

    WA 8104

    Tel: (206) 464-1122

    Note: Columbia Legal Services (CLS) notes that it “concentrates mostly on critical legal problems affecting large numbers of low-income people,” but that it does “represent some clients on individual legal problems.” Areas of law CLS is involved in include employment, housing, consumer abuse, education, disability and senior law. Most clients are referred to CLS by other organizations – they recommend that to access their services you start by calling 211.

  • Legal Voice

    907 Pine Street
    Suite 500

    WA 98101

    Tel: (206) 682-9552

    Note: This organization cannot help you with direct representation, but offers many self-help publications that you can access free on its website in the areas of family law, violence against women, consumer and debt, employment rights, court procedures and lawyers, LGBT rights, criminal rights, civil rights, health and reproductive justice, and wills and estates.

  • Catholic Community Services

    Legal Action Center
    100 23rd Avenue S

    WA 98144

    Tel: (206) 328-5696

    Note: The Legal Action Center provides free legal assistance to low income residents of King County facing housing issues such as eviction, landlord/tenant problems, and debtor/creditor issues related to past tenancies.

  • Seattle Community Law Center

    1404 E. Yesler Way
    Suite 203

    WA 98122

    Tel: (206) 686-7252

    Note: This organization provides “Social Security advocacy for people with disabilities who are low income or homeless.”

  • King County Department of Public Defense

    401 5th Avenue
    Suite 550

    WA 98104

    Tel: (206) 296-7662

    Note: If you are accused of a crime and cannot afford an attorney, the Department of Public Defense (DPD) may be able to help you. Check here for eligibility requirements for DPD Services and here for information on how to get a DPD attorney. Additional information about the process may be found on the Frequently Asked Questions page.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options