Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Tax Return Preparation

Taxes... is there any word capable of causing more stress and uncertainty? Whether you are a tycoon with a vast financial empire, or your assets are limited to a bank account and a car, the tax laws can either work for you or against you. Ultimately, we can all stand to handle our finances with more sophistication. This article (including the links below) explains the basics of tax return preparation, when your report your income and expenses to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). It also explains how to complete certain sections of the form and provides information about how to get legal assistance with your tax related issues.

Choosing the Right Form

The first issue tax filers will face is the choice of the appropriate form. In most cases, based on what you filed last year, the IRS will mail you Form 1040, Form 1040A, or Form 1040EZ with related instructions. Before you fill in the form, look at the form instructions to see if you need, or would benefit from filing a different form this year. The type of form you use depends on a number of factors, including your marital status, how much income you earn, whether you plan to use itemized deductions, and the types of credits you plan to claim. You should also see if you need any additional forms or schedules.

Tax Return Preparation in Six Steps

Once you determine which form to use, the next step is preparing your return. Simple mistakes in tax filings can result in an audit, which make careful preparation particularly important. Follow the steps below to ensure your tax return is prepared correctly and the information provided is accurate.

  1. Gather your financial records for income and expenses.
  2. Get the forms, schedules, and publications you need.
  3. Fill in your return, making sure to follow the steps provided by the IRS.
  4. Double-check your return to make sure it's correct.
  5. Sign and date your return.
  6. Attach all required forms and schedules.

Additional Resources

There are many questions and issues that can arise in the process of preparing your taxes. If you have additional questions about the tax return preparation process, you should explore the IRS links below for in-depth information on preparing and filing your return:

Let a Professional Help You With Your Federal Tax Return

The tax code is one of the most complicated sets of laws in the entire American legal system. If you have concerns about preparing your tax filings a qualified tax lawyer can help protect your assets, while ensuring that you stay on the right side of the law. Contact a local tax attorney who can help you navigate the tax code.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified tax attorney to help you navigate your federal and/or state tax issues.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options