Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer

South Dakota Voting Guide

Democracies function best when their citizens participate. For many people, voting is how they participate in federal, state, and local politics. In South Dakota, voters have several options for casting their ballot. Learn the ins and outs of voting in our South Dakota voting guide.

Am I eligible to vote in South Dakota?

To be eligible to vote in South Dakota, you must be:

  • A citizen of the United States of America
  • A resident of South Dakota
  • 18 years of age by Election Day

You are not eligible to vote in South Dakota if you:

  • Are a convicted felon currently serving a sentence, e.g., prison time, probation, parole
  • Have been judged by a legal court to be mentally incompetent

Where Do I Vote?

You can find your local polling place, voter information, and a sample ballot by entering your voter registration information into the South Dakota Secretary of State Voter Information Portal

How to Register in South Dakota

There are several ways to register to vote in South Dakota. This includes registering:

In Person

You can register at several government offices, including your local County Auditor's Office and the Department of Human Services.


South Dakota law does not allow email registration. You can access the voter registration form online and submit it in person or via mail.

At the DMV

Through automatic voter registration, you can register to vote as you are applying for a new or updated driver's license or permit.

By Mail

You can register by filling out a voter registration form, signing it, and submitting/mailing it to your local County Auditor.

South Dakota Voting Resources

Your vote counts. Take the time to learn how and when to vote.


You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Protect Your Voting Rights

Contact a qualified attorney if you suspect your rights have been violated.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options