Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Special Visas for Business Traders and Investors

The United States acknowledges the importance of cultivating business relationships among nations. This shows in the U.S. government's wide range of visas to business traders and investors. These U.S. visas often connect with trade agreements such as Treaty Traders, Investors Visa, and NAFTA. These treaties are essential for those aiming to contribute to and enjoy the robust U.S. economy.

This article overviews special visas for business traders and investors.

What Are Special Visas for Business Traders and Investors?

The U.S. offers various types of visas to foreign nationals who would like to take part in business and investment activities in the country. The U.S. offers these visas to attract foreign investors. The visas also help job creation, economic growth, and international trade. The following are the types of special visas that the U.S. government offers to business traders and investors:

1. E-1 Treaty Traders Visas

The E-1 Treaty Traders visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows foreign treaty country nationals to enter the U.S. to engage in international trade. Treaty countries are countries with which the U.S. has a treaty of commerce and navigation. These are also countries that the U.S. has a qualifying international agreement or law that considers them a qualifying country. Selected E-1 visa employees of these types of businesses, local or international organizations, may also get an E-1 treaty trader visa. This includes their dependent family members.

2. E-2 Treaty Investors Visas

The E-2 Treaty Investors visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows foreign citizens to invest in and manage a business in the United States. It is available to people from the treaty country. Employees of investors or companies may also apply for an E-2 status Treaty Investor visa.

3. EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program

The EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program offers a path to lawful permanent resident (LPR) status to foreign investors and their immediate family members. Immediate family members include the investor's spouse and unmarried children under 21. Congress initiated the program to boost the U.S. economy. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) administers this visa program.

4. NAFTA Professional Workers Visas

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) allows professionals from Canada and Mexico to come to the U.S. to work in prearranged business activities. This agreement created trade and economic relationships for Canada, Mexico, and the United States. The visa holder's spouse and unmarried children under 21 may travel to the United States. These family members may not work in the U.S.

General Qualifications and Eligibility Requirements

You must meet certain qualifications and requirements to get business traders' and investors' visas. The following are the general qualifications that you have to meet under U.S. immigration laws, including those under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA):

1. E-1 Treaty Traders Visa Qualifications

As a treaty trader, you must be a foreign national of a country that maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation with the United States. Or from a country with which the U.S. maintains an international agreement or is a qualifying country by law. To qualify, you should have engaged in substantial trade between the treaty country and the United States. That means over 50% of international trade is between the U.S. and the treaty country. Trade means the international exchange of items of trade. Some examples of items of trade are services, goods, insurance, transportation, technology and its transfer, and more.

2. E-2 Treat Investor Visa Qualifications

As an E-2 visa holder, you should be a citizen of a treaty country. You can be an individual, a partnership, or a corporate entity that has invested or is investing capital in a U.S. business. The investment should generate a significant economic impact on the U.S., and you should have control of the funds. If you are not the principal investor, you should at least be an essential employee of the entity.

3. EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program

EB-5 investor visas are for investors in new commercial enterprises established after Nov. 29, 1990. To qualify, the investor should have made a large investment in a commercial enterprise. They should have also created at least 10 full-time jobs, met the financial threshold, and show proof of a lawful source of funds. Investors can choose between investing through regional centers or individual investments.

4. NAFTA Professional Workers Qualifications

Canadian and Mexican professionals can apply for work in the U.S. as NAFTA professionals after meeting certain conditions. First, they are a citizen of either Canada or Mexico. Second, the job that they will do in the U.S. is among those listed under the NAFTA agreement. Included among the conditions required is that a business needs a NAFTA professional for the position in the United States. The NAFTA applicant should also meet the special qualifications in education, specialized knowledge, and professional skills.

How To Apply for Business Traders' and Investors' Visas

There are various steps you have to follow to apply for business traders' and investors' visas. The steps and required documentation may vary depending on the U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate where you are filing your visa application. The following are the general steps you have to take to apply for this type of U.S. visa:

  1. Fill out an online visa application. You must file an online nonimmigrant visa application (Form DS-160) with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You have to complete the online application. After completion, you must print the confirmation page when you attend your visa interview.
  2. Prepare a photo ID. Upload a photo identification during your online application. You need to upload this picture while completing Form DS-160. Note that the image should meet the photograph requirements specified by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs.
  3. Schedule your visa interview. Your visa interview will be at your home country's U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate. Note that the waiting times for interview appointments vary. This depends on the visa classification, location, season, and the type of U.S. visa you are applying for.
  4. Prepare the required documentation. Gather the required documents that you need for your interview. This includes your valid passport, Form DS-160 confirmation page, application fee, and photo ID. Nonimmigrant treat traders and investors also must bring Form DS-156E.
  5. Attend your visa interview. You have to attend your visa interview to get your U.S. visa. A consular officer assesses your visa application and determines whether you qualify for a U.S. visa. The consular officer will also check the appropriate visa category for your trip. It would help if you also established that you have met all the requirements set out by U.S. immigration laws to get the visa you are applying for. After the interview, the consular officer may ask for more administrative processing. But, if the consular officer approves your visa application, you may pay the visa issuance fee. The consular officials will also inform you how to get your passport with the U.S. visa attached.

Remember that your U.S. visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. The Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will still conduct interviews and check your documents at the port of entry. They may ask questions about the purpose of your trip and other relevant information.

Seek Legal Advice from an Immigration Attorney

Understanding U.S. immigration laws related to business traders and investors is challenging. Some rules affect the requirements and documentation needed for the position. The amendments in U.S. laws, particularly the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), could also affect your visa application. Visa waivers may also apply. Although sources are readily available, it can be overwhelming for people without a legal background.

Given the complex legal requirements, it helps to seek guidance from an immigration law attorney. Their expertise can help your case and maximize your chance of a successful visa application. They can also assist with other immigration services. For instance, they can help with change of status, employment authorization, and more.

Learn More About U.S. Visas

Understanding U.S. Visas

For people who want to visit the U.S., it is crucial to understand the different types of temporary U.S. visas. The U.S. government offers various immigrant and nonimmigrant visas to those who want to travel to the United States. Each visa serves a specific purpose. It could be for tourism, business, medical treatment, employment, education, etc. This article overviews U.S. visas to help you understand which one aligns with your needs.

Temporary Visas

Learn more about the different types of temporary nonimmigrant visas to enter the United States. The list includes visitor visas (B1/B2), temporary workers visas (H, L, O, P), student visas (F and M), visas for religious workers (R), L-1 intracompany transferee, and more.

Family Preference and Immediate Relative Petitions

This article outlines U.S. immigration laws and how they look at family reunification. Here, you will learn the legal means for U.S. citizens and permanent residents (green card holders) to petition their family members to come to the United States. It discusses family preference categories and the forms and processes for family-based immigration visas.

Employment Visas

Foreign nationals who want to travel to the U.S. for employment can use this article about employment visas. This article covers the different types of U.S. visas available for permanent and temporary jobs. It discusses U.S. visas for priority workers, such as professionals with extraordinary abilities in the arts, sciences, education, business, or athletics. Skilled professionals with advanced degrees, special immigrants, and immigrant investors can get these visas. This includes professionals in specialty occupations requiring highly specialized knowledge.

Exchange Visitor Visa

This exchange visitor visa article discusses the J and Q nonimmigrant visa categories. These visa categories are for foreign nationals participating in international cultural exchange programs. Applicants for J and Q visas should meet specific financial, educational, and training requirements.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified immigration attorney to help you with visa procedures.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options