Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Contributory and Comparative Negligence

Imagine you're in a car accident. You ran a red light, but the other driver was speeding. Who's at fault? Understanding the rules of contributory and comparative negligence can help answer this.

What Are Contributory and Comparative Negligence?

In personal injury cases, like a car accident, figuring out who is at fault is important. Two main rules used are contributory negligence and comparative negligence.

  • Contributory Negligence: If you're even a tiny bit at fault in jurisdictions like Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, D.C., and Alabama, you might not be able to collect damages (money) for your injuries. This is called the contributory negligence system. It's strict and can be tough for the injured party.
  • Comparative Negligence: Most states, like Texas, New York, Illinois, and Colorado, use this rule. Here, even if you have some fault in the accident, you can still get some money. The amount depends on how much you're at fault. For instance, if you're 30% at fault in a car accident case, you might only get 70% of the money you asked for.

Types of Comparative Negligence

There are different types of comparative negligence rules:

Pure Comparative Negligence

Imagine a pie with slices representing who is at fault for an accident. Even if others took the majority of that pie (let's say 90% of it) because you mostly caused the accident, you can still get a small slice (the remaining 10%).

In the world of accidents, this means that even if you were mostly the reason an accident happened, you can still get a little money for your injuries. This is called the pure comparative negligence rule.

So, using our pie example, if you're 90% at fault for a car accident, you still have a chance to collect 10% of the damages you might need for things like medical bills.

Modified Comparative Fault

Now, let's think of a balanced scale. On one side, there's your fault, and on the other side, there's the other person's fault. The scale tips based on who is more responsible for the accident.

In states like Texas and Illinois, they use a rule called modified comparative fault. This means that the injured party can only get money if their side of the scale is lighter (meaning they're less than 50% or 51% at fault depending on the state). If the scale tips over to their side too much, and they're more than half the reason the accident happened, they can't get any money. This rule is like a middle ground between being very strict and being very forgiving.

How Do Insurance Companies Use These Rules?

Insurance companies are like big calculators. When an accident happens, they want to know who did what and how much that's going to cost. These rules about fault, like pure comparative negligence and modified comparative fault, help them do the math.

When you've had a car accident and send an insurance claim, it's like telling the insurance company, "Hey, I had an accident and need some money to fix things." The insurance company then starts its detective work. They look at the details of the auto accident, like who ran a red light or who didn't stop at a stop sign. This helps them figure out who is more at fault.

Here's where it gets tricky. Sometimes they might find that both drivers made mistakes. Let's say you're asking the insurance company for money because another car hit you, but maybe you were texting while driving. The insurance company might say you have your own negligence, which means you had a part in causing the accident.

If the insurance company thinks you played a part in the accident, they might offer you less money. The more negligent you were, the less money they might give you.

It's essential to know these rules and even talk to a personal injury lawyer if you feel the insurance company isn't treating you fairly. They can help make sure you get the right amount of money after an accident.

Getting Help with Your Personal Injury Claim

Each state has its own rules. New York uses different comparative negligence rules than Colorado. Some states are at fault states and others are not. This can be confusing.

If you're an accident victim, it's a good idea to get legal advice in these scenarios. Personal injury lawyers at a local law office can help. They know the contributory negligence and comparative negligence rules in your state and can guide you through a personal injury lawsuit or an insurance claim.

Important Things To Remember:

  • If you contribute to your own injuries, the amount of damages you can recover might change.
  • State laws vary. North Carolina uses the contributory negligence rule, while Colorado uses comparative negligence law.
  • Having a personal injury attorney can help you understand these rules and your rights.

A Personal Injury Attorney Can Help

Whether you're in Virginia, Texas, New York, or any other state, knowing about contributory negligence and comparative negligence is important. If you've been in a car accident, reach out to a personal injury attorney for a case evaluation. They can guide you on what steps to take next, whether it's about medical bills, wrongful death, or just understanding your state's fault rules.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified personal injury attorney to make sure your rights are protected.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options