Injury Claims and Insurance
Auto accidents happen. There's a lot to think about when you're in a car accident. Who was at fault? How do you deal with the insurance company? What if there's property damage? And, most importantly, how can you get help for your bodily injuries? Let's break it all down.
What Happens Right After a Car Accident?
After a car accident, the accident scene might be a bit chaotic.
First, always check if everyone is OK. Call for medical attention if needed.
It's also important to get a police report. This report will have important information and will be useful if you decide to file a car accident claim. You can request a police report from the responding agency after an accident.
Always swap contact information with the other motorist. If someone leaves the scene without stopping and sharing contact information, that's a hit-and-run, and you should report it.
Who Pays for the Damage and Injuries?
This depends on who was at fault and the state law where the accident happened.
In a "fault state," the person who caused the accident (the at-fault party) and their insurance company will usually pay. But in a "no-fault" state, each person's insurance company pays for their injuries and damages, no matter who caused the accident.
Sometimes, the person who caused the accident doesn't have enough insurance coverage or is an uninsured motorist. That's when your insurance company might cover your damages or medical expenses, especially if your insurance policy has uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.
What's an Injury Claim?
An injury claim is when you ask the insurance company to pay for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and other expenses because of the accident. This can be for a personal injury, like if you got hurt and have medical costs, or for property damage, like if your car got wrecked.
How Do I File a Claim?
After the accident, you'll contact the insurance company to start the insurance claims process. They will ask for all the details, so it's good to have your insurance information, police report, and any photos from the accident scene ready.
Insurance adjusters will then review everything. They might give you a settlement offer, which is the amount of money they'll pay. If it seems fair, you can accept it. If not, consider legal advice from a car accident lawyer.
What if Things Get Complicated?
Sometimes, injury cases can get tricky. Maybe the at-fault driver's insurance company doesn't want to pay enough. You may have big medical expenses, and your auto insurance coverage isn't enough. Or maybe the other driver says they weren't at fault.
It might be time to get a personal injury attorney in these situations. They can give advice, help negotiate with the insurance company, or even start a car accident lawsuit if needed. Many lawyers even offer accident victims a free case evaluation to review the case's merits.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some of people's most common questions when faced with car accidents and the personal injury claim process.
- What's "Comparative Negligence?" It's when both drivers share some blame for the accident. For example, if you were 30% at fault and the other driver was 70% at fault, financial compensation might be reduced by 30%.
- What's "Liability Insurance?" It's a part of car insurance that pays for serious injuries or damages you cause to someone else. Liability coverage ensures that the injured party can get compensation without directly affecting your personal assets if you are found at fault in an accident.
- What if I Can't Drive My Car After the Accident? If it's a total loss, the insurance might pay for a rental car until things get sorted out. You'll have to assess the damage to determine if your vehicle can be repaired or if you'll need to replace it entirely.
- I Was in a Motor Vehicle Accident and the Other Driver Was Uninsured. What Now? That's tough. If you have "uninsured motorist" coverage, your own insurance company might help. This coverage is designed for situations like these, providing a safety net when the at-fault driver can't. If the other driver is uninsured or has a low policy limit, a personal injury lawyer can advise on what to do next.
Get Help for Your Car Accident Case
Remember, after a car accident, try to stay calm, gather as much information as possible, and get the right help. Whether it's medical treatment, contacting your insurance company, or getting legal advice from a car accident attorney, taking the right steps can make the car insurance claim process smoother.
Learn About Injury Claims and Insurance
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.