Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Sue for a Lost Job Due to a Car Accident?

Someone crashed into your car, leaving you with a broken arm and serious neck pain. You're unable to return to your job because you need to undergo medical treatment for weeks. Your employer tells you that you're being discharged because they can't leave your position vacant. As a result, you're now unemployed with no source of income. What can you do? Can you sue the other driver for your lost job? Read on to find out what damages you can recover due to losing your job.

Types of Damages for Lost Job

Generally, if the other driver caused the accident, you may be entitled to recover damages for any earnings or income lost due to accident injuries. If your employer discharged you because you're unable to work in your medical condition, you can sue the other driver for two types of damages:

  1. Special damages, and
  2. General damages.

First, you can claim special damages, which include loss of income, wages, profits, benefits, and business opportunities. You'll likely be entitled to the amount of income that you would have earned if you weren't injured in a car accident. Loss of income is calculated from the time of the accident to the date when your medical condition is stable.

Second, you can also claim general damages, which is a broad category of losses that are difficult to assign a specific monetary value. General damages include future loss of earnings and lost earning capacity. To recover future loss of earnings and earning capacity, you need to show that you had the potential to earn that amount of money. Unlike special damages that use your actual wages to calculate the amount, the court will estimate your earning capacity by comparing your abilities before and after the injury.

How to Make a Claim for a Lost Job

To recover damages after losing your job, you'll need proof of the medical condition that prevented you from returning to your job. Typically, you'll need to submit a doctor's note, disability slip, and any medical records describing your injuries. You'll also need to submit a letter from your employer stating that you are being discharged, and proof of your income. The letter should state that your termination was related to your accident injuries.

Depending on which state you're in, your personal injury lawsuit may be subject to certain limitations like damages caps. It is unlikely that you'll recover loss of earnings for an indefinite period of time. Some states cap noneconomic damages you can recover to a certain dollar amount. Make sure you check your state's laws to ensure you're not requesting more than the law allows.

Your Duty to Mitigate

In every personal injury case, you must do everything to mitigate damages, even if you didn't cause the accident. For example, after you've recovered from your injuries, you can't just rest at home and expect to get compensated for those days. You will need to try your best to find a new job as soon as you are able to work. The amount of your damages will be reduced if the court determines you were able to work and made no effort to do so.

Can You Sue for a Lost Job From a Car Accident? Talk to an Attorney

If a serious injury prevented you from returning to your job, it's probably in your best interests to contact a personal injury lawyer. You may be able to sue for a lost job due to a car accident, but the litigation process often involves complex analysis and numerous obstacles. Get help today by contacting a local car accident attorney.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified auto accident attorney to make sure your rights are protected.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • A lawyer can help seek fair compensation on your behalf
  • Car accident claims are complex and insurance carriers have lawyers on their side

Get tailored legal advice and ask a lawyer questions about your accident. Many attorneys offer free consultations.


 If you need an attorney, find one right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options