Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Usher's Ex Angry Over Child Support, Canceled Saks Card

By Cynthia Hsu, Esq. on November 29, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Tameka Raymond, Usher's ex-wife, is somewhat unhappy with her former husband and father of her children. She's so unhappy that she's reportedly filed court documents in Georgia asking a judge to give her full custody of her sons.

According to the complaint, Usher has done the following acts, which are not permitted under their custody agreement:

  • Failed to get her permission to take the boys out of state.
  • Failed to contact her and have her take care of the children if he's gone for more than 8 hours.
  • Failed to gain her approval when he hired nannies.
  • Failed to pay up about $34,000 worth of payments after he promised Raymond he'd give her $5,000 to pay a nanny.

And, most egregious of them all:

  • Canceled her Saks 5th Avenue credit card after saying she couldn't use its "special benefits."

Fashion lovers would agree that this is indeed quite harsh.

Raymond is also seeking a modification of the child support agreement, stating that there's been a substantial change in Usher's income since their agreement was finalized in 2009.

Substantial changes in a parent's income may be the basis for a court ordering a modification of child support payments. If Usher's income did substantially increase since 2009, he could be ordered to pay more. Conversely, if his income had substantially dropped he could ask for a modification to pay less.

And maybe Tameka Raymond is right about Usher's income. In 2010, he released his third Billboard No. 1 album, Raymond v. Raymond. Certainly those sales led the singer to live quite a comfortable life. So should he be able to deny his ex the pleasures of a Saks card?

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard