Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Groupon Rights: What if a Business Refuses my Groupon Coupon

By Admin | Last updated on

You can't please everyone all the time. Groupon has recently had to learn that lesson, after being slammed for a Super Bowl commercial, criticized for customer issues with their Groupon coupons and sued in federal court for allegedly violating Illinois law by offering illegal expiration dates, NBC Chicago reports. 

Customers have told stories of bait-and-switch in some cases when they have tried to redeem a coupon from Groupon. One man questioned his Groupon rights after he said that when he took his wife out for sushi with a Groupon, they were immediately asked "are you using the Groupon tonight?" When they said yes, the waiter began crossing off non-full price items and dinner specials. "He proceeded to take the specials menu and cross off the prices, and write higher prices, which was getting even stranger," the diner told ABC. 

If you're using a Groupon, it is smart to read the fine print, looking for restrictions. If you get to a location and they refuse to accept it or they act rude about it, the best option is to leave. You can tell the manager why you are leaving, but be careful not to make any threats or behave in a way that could cause your arrest. When you get home, contact Groupon, as they say they are willing to give refunds to any customers with negative experiences such as the sushi story above. 

If Groupon refused to provide the refund, you would have legal Groupon rights to use. Possible recourse would be against either Groupon, the business offering the Groupon coupon, or both. 

Related Resources:


Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard