Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Teen Calls Cops on His Own Rowdy House Party; 28 Arrested

By Daniel Taylor, Esq. | Last updated on

For a teenager hosting a party while his parents are out of town, having the cops show up is typically the worst possible scenario.

But one teenager in Puyallup, Washington, not only welcomed the arrival of the police to his out-of-control house party last weekend, he had actually summoned them himself, after 70 kids from 11 local high schools began destroying his house and running amok in his neighborhood, reports Seattle's KOMO-TV.

What did police find when they got there?

28 Arrested in 'Beer- and Liquor-Bottle Strewn House'

According to a press release on Pierce County's website, police responding to the party arrested 27 people ages 15 to 20 for minor in possession of alcohol and another 18-year-old on an outstanding DUI warrant, typically issued when a DUI suspect fails to appear in court.

The police reported hearing glass breaking and a fight getting started in the house as they entered. The 16-year-old boy who lived at the house -- whose parents were out of town for the night -- had called police after the party had taken a turn for the destructive. One group of two dozen kids reportedly broke down the backyard fence and "stampeded across a neighbor's yard." Police also reported that "the beer- and liquor-bottle strewn house" had "a strong odor of marijuana."

Potential Civil Liability

In addition to arrests, police warn that parents who leave children home unattended over the weekend may face civil liability for injuries, crimes, or property destruction that occur as the result of an out-of-control party.

Parents may potentially be found negligent in a number of ways, such as:

Police recommend that parents going out of town arrange for an adult friend or family member to stay at the home while they are away or even ask police to patrol the house during their absence.

Follow FindLaw for Consumers on Facebook and Twitter (@FindLawConsumer).

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard