Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Injured at College House Party? Can You Sue?

By Daniel Taylor, Esq. | Last updated on

College parties have certainly been known to occasionally get out of control.

A spring-break party near the University of California, Santa Barbara earlier this year turned ugly when a campus police officer tried to arrest a partygoer...but ended up with 44 injuries and more than 100 arrests, reports The Associated Press.

If you're injured at a college party, can you sue?

Personal Injury Lawsuit

Party-related injuries typically fall within the purview of personal injury law. This includes the classic slip and fall injuries, such as people who may slip on beer-soaked floors or fall through shoddily constructed, non-permitted balconies.

But personal injury suits can also seek recovery for any other types of negligent behavior that results in physical injury, such as allowing an underage girl to consume a dangerous amount of alcohol at a fraternity party.

Who Can You Sue?

A personal injury suit can be brought against one or multiple defendants. In some cases, it might not be clear who is responsible for your injury. In others, multiple parties may have shared responsibility.

These may include:

  • The party's host. Many states have passed what are called social host liability laws that may make the host of a party responsible for injuries caused by someone who was served alcohol in excess.
  • Property owner. The owner of the property (as well as the tenants or lessees) may be held liable through premises liability, which holds the owners or occupiers of property responsible for maintaining a safe environment.
  • University. If the party occurred on campus or was connected with the University, you may also be able to sue the school. However, lawsuits against public schools may be subject to the special rules for injury claims against the government.

If you're injured at a party, a personal injury attorney can help explain your legal options and advise you on how best to proceed with a personal injury lawsuit.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard