Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Horse-Riding Helmet Law Signed by Florida Governor

By David Goguen | Last updated on

In Florida, horse riders aged 16 and younger will need to wear a helmet while on horseback on most public roads, trails, and other public property -- whether riding recreationally or taking equestrian lessons -- under a new law signed today by Governor Charlie Crist.

The new Florida equestrian helmet law is part of a renewed focus by U.S. lawmakers, on how to best utilize state laws to prevent the incidence of traumatic brain injury (TBI) that occur from falls during recreational activities like bicycle riding, skiing, and horseback riding.

The Florida law is being referred to as "Nicole's Law," named for a 12-year-old girl from Loxahatchee, Florida who died in June 2006 after she was thrown from a horse, according to a Press Release from the Office of the Florida Governor: "[This] legislation creates safety standards to minimize the number of serious or fatal head injuries to Florida youth sustained during equestrian activities and recreation."

"Nicole's Law" requires use of protective headgear by horse riders 16 years-old and younger, who are riding on or in public roads, right-of-ways, equestrian trails, recreation trails, parks, nature preserves, schools, or "any other publicly owned or controlled property," according to the Office of the Florida Governor.

But "Nicole's Law" does provide exceptions to the helmet requirement for horse riders aged 16 and younger who are practicing for or competing in rodeos and parades where helmets aren't typically worn, or are riding on private land.

Was this helpful?

Response sent, thank you

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard