Jardine Crib Recall Expanded...Again
Crib manufacturer Jardine Enterprises has announced a second expansion of a recall involving many of the company's wooden crib models, because of an ongoing defect that poses a strangulation and entrapment hazard for infants and toddlers.
Today's announcement applies to about 96,000 Jardine cribs, including the drop-side "Olympia", "Olympia Lifetime", "Americana 4-in-1", and "Capri 4-in-1" models. The recalled cribs were sold for about $220 to $330 at KidsWorld, Geoffrey Stores, Toys 'R' Us, and Babies 'R' Us stores, from September 2005 through April 2009. See Today's CPSC Announcement for detailed information on affected cribs, including model numbers.
The problem is an ongoing one with Jardine wooden cribs. The cribs' wooden slats can break and create a gap that presents an entrapment and strangulation hazard for infants and toddlers. CPSC reports that it has received "31 incident reports of slats breaking, including two reports of children becoming entrapped in the gap created by the broken slat on the crib."
Two earlier recalls involving wooden Jardine cribs were announced by the company and CPSC in January 2009 (about 56,000 cribs) and June 2008 (about 320,000 cribs), over the same entrapment and strangulation risks.
Earlier this week, CPSC announced the release of a new Online Crib Safety Information Center, giving parents and child care providers a new online resource for crib safety tips and up-to-date crib recall information.
- Jardine Announces Second Recall Expansion of Cribs Sold by Babies 'R' Us (CPSC.gov)
- Jardine Crib Recall Expanded Due to Toddler Injury Risk (FindLaw's Common Law)
- New Online Crib Safety Information Center from CPSC (FindLaw's Injured)
- Chicago Tribune: 96,000 More Jardine Baby Cribs Recalled Due to Strangling Risk
- Accident & Injury Center (FindLaw)
- Personal Injuries from Defective Products (provided by Gary Martin Hays & Associates, P.C.)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.