Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Model's Hand Cut Off by Small Plane Propeller

By Cynthia Hsu, Esq. on December 07, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Fashion model Lauren Scruggs walked into a small plane propeller, losing her left hand and suffering facial injuries. The 23-year-old editor of LoLo Magazine is now recovering from the accident at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas.

Scruggs took the small plane to the McKinney area, which is located around 30 miles from Dallas. She had taken the flight to view Christmas lights.

The accident occurred when she walked into the front of the prop. One aviation enthusiast explained in an interview that if engines are running at a certain speed, the prop can fatally suck someone in if they get too close.

The pilot of the plane that Scruggs took was uninjured. So far, there aren't any reports that indicate negligence contributed to the accident.

But it's possible that the pilot or plane manufacturer could face liability for Scruggs' injuries depending on the circumstances of the situation. For example, if proper safety procedure called for the pilot to turn off the plane's propellers or engine before allowing his passengers to walk out or into the craft, the pilot may be liable. It's possible that the pilot could also be liable if proper safety procedures indicated that he should have instructed Scruggs or other passengers to stay a certain distance away from the prop.

For now, there are no reports that Lauren Scruggs' accident was caused by negligence. She is currently recovering from the plane propeller injuries after receiving emergency surgery including facial and shoulder reconstruction, MSNBC reports.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard