Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Los Angeles City Bans Plastic Bags

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. | Last updated on

Los Angeles became the largest city in the country to enact a plastic bag ban on Wednesday, following in the footsteps of 47 other municipalities in California. The LA plastic bag ban is expected to affect about 7,500 large and small grocery and convenience stories.

Before the ban goes into effect, the city will conduct an environmental review and draft a final ordinance. Once enacted, large stores will have six months to comply and small ones will have a year.

At the end of that year, all retailers will also be required to charge 10 cents per paper bag, according to the Los Angeles Times. This is a compromise, as many wanted the LA plastic bag ban to also include paper grocery bags.

By the end of this year, store owners will have more information about how they must comply with the ban. But in the meantime, there are things a small market owner can do to prepare.

One of these things includes searching for a paper bag distributer if the store doesn't already have one. Start crunching numbers now as to not be blindsided next year when the LA plastic bag ban becomes permanent.

Owners may also want to start encouraging customers to shop with reusable bags. Put signs up, offer coupons or a few cents off a purchase. Many stores in San Francisco and San Jose, where there are also plastic bag bans, also carry a small stock of reusable bags.

Though the LA plastic bag ban may seem like a big hassle, with a little preparation, it doesn't have to be. Plus, it could possibly save you money (and help the environment).

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard