Miss Universe Contract Dispute: Univision Angered by Trump Comments
Many politicians have strong feelings about undocumented immigrants coming to the United States. However, Donald Trump took things too far, and now it's backfiring on him.
Mexican language television company Univision announced that it has cut all ties with Donald Trump and his organization after Trump made seemingly racist comments against Mexico and Mexican people.
Trump vs. Mexico: Apparently a Love/Hate Relationship
Donald Trump started his presidential campaign off with a bang by attacking Mexican immigrants.
His comments, which won't be repeated here, angered many and prompted Univision Communications Inc. to end its partnership with Donald Trump and the Miss Universe Organization, which Trump partly owns. Univision has announced that it will not be airing the Miss USA pageant on July 12 in protest of Trump.
For his part, Trump tried to backtrack and say that he "loves Mexico." However, he also claims that Univision has apologized and only cut ties with the Miss Universe Organization because the Mexican government pressured it into it.
Unwilling to truly back down from his position, Trump has threatened to sue Univision for "hundreds of millions of dollars" for breach of contract.
While Univision's approach may be the right thing to do morally and politically, it may be misguided legally. If Univision and Trump did have a contract that required it to air the Miss USA Pageant, refusing to do so could be a breach of contract.
If Trump sues, there are several remedies he could ask for:
- Specific Performance -- He could ask the court to order Univision to comply with contract and air the pageant on its channel.
- Damages -- He could ask the court to award damages to compensate him for the money he lost because Univision did not air the pageant.
- Cancellation and Restitution -- Trump could ask for the contract to be cancelled and for Univision to pay back any money or benefit it had already received.
Will Donald Trump follow through with his threat to sue? Likely. Will he win? We'll just have to wait and see.
Follow FindLaw for Consumers on Google+.
- Univision dumps Trump, cancels Miss USA over his comments about Mexicans (CNN Money)
- Breach of Employment Contract: What Remedies May Be Possible? (FindLaw's Free Enterprise)
- 5 Contract Terms You Really Should Know (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
- What Are Liquidated Damages? (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.