Top 5 Lessons From Small Business Lawsuits
Lawsuits, for better or worse, are a fact of business life. And just because a business is small doesn't mean it can't or won't get sued. When small businesses get sued, other small business owners take notice and try and learn from the lawsuit, because there are lessons everywhere you look.
Here are five of the biggest small business lawsuits in the news recently, and the lessons other small business owners can take away:
1. Legal Brew: Lessons From Recent Craft Beer Lawsuits
Craft breweries once had an "us against the macrobreweries" bond amongst each other. But that was before they realized they were really competing against each other. Learn why you need intellectual property protection, and how far you should go to defend it.
2. 3 Lessons From a Construction Co.'s EEOC Sex Discrimination Case
You should already know by now to treat your female employees equally. But you may not know what accommodations are necessary under the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's guidelines, especially when it comes to pregnant or breastfeeding workers.
3. 3 Lessons for SMBs From Black Friday Lawsuits
Such an ominous name, such a potential gold mine for retailers, and such a source of expensive litigation. If you're planning a door-buster sale this holiday season, make sure it doesn't bust your business.
4. Reasonable Accommodations for Ramadan? Lessons From 2 EEOC Cases
Speaking of the holiday season, how far do you, as an employer, need to go to accommodate religious practices of your employees? Learn why you need a policy, what it needs to cover, and why applying it consistently to all employees, regardless of religion, is so important.
5. Indoor 'Mistletoe Drone' Causes Injury: Legal Reminders for SMBs
Look, we all love a good gimmick. And in the age of viral video, a well-executed promotional stunt can really pay off for your small business. But one that goes awry? That can cost you millions.
You know who's really keeping track of small business lawsuits? Business and commercial attorneys. So if you want the best advice on how to avoid a small business lawsuit altogether, contact one today.
- Find Business & Commercial Lawyers Near You (FindLaw's Lawyer Directory)
- How to Avoid Disability Discrimination in Hiring Lawsuits (Free Enterprise)
- How to Fire an Employee Without Being Sued (Free Enterprise)
- How Pirate's Booty Got 6 Class Action Lawsuits Dismissed (Free Enterprise)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.