Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Cal Ripken's Mother Abducted at Gunpoint

By Andrew Lu on July 25, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Cal Ripken Jr.'s mother was abducted from her home at gunpoint Tuesday night. After being reported missing, the 74-year-old Violet Ripken was found Wednesday morning in her car, not far from home.

Violet Ripken appears unharmed and she is currently resting with her family, reports The Washington Post.

Police are still looking for the suspect, described as a white man in his late 30s-to-early 40s, who was last seen wearing camouflage pants. It wasn't reported if there was a robbery of Violet Ripken's home and no possible motive was given.

Cal Ripken's mother was at her Aberdeen, Maryland home between 7 and 8 p.m. last night when the suspect pulled a handgun on her and forced her into a vehicle, writes the Post. It's unclear if the man broke into the home or if Violent Ripken opened the door for him.

However, once the man is caught he faces very serious penalties. In Maryland, kidnapping carries a possible 30-year prison term. The crime is generally defined as carrying a person off through force or fraud. There is no requirement that the person be confined for a minimum period of time like 24 hours before the crime becomes kidnapping. So even though Violet Ripken was only missing for a few hours, the suspect likely faces kidnapping charges.

In addition, if it is discovered that the suspect robbed the home or had the intentions of seeking a ransom from Cal Ripken for the same return of his mother, a judge may consider these as aggravating factors and lean towards the maximum 30-year prison term for the abduction.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard