Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Everyday Tasks for Lawyers Now Obsolete Thanks to Technology

By William Vogeler, Esq. on May 04, 2017 2:29 PM

Reflecting on the old days may tell us how old we are but also what we left behind.

In an always evolving technological world, it reminds us that somethings will never be the same. For better or for worse, this is especially true in the practice of law.

For those who remember a time before Kimmel, here's a Letterman-like list of Top 10 Lawyer Things That Are No More:

10 - Hand-Writing

Penmanship became an art form about the time keystrokes arrived.

9 - Typewriters

These machines are considered antiques, except perhaps in Third World countries.

8 - Rolodex

No, it's not a watch, but nowadays your watch may have your contacts in it.

7 - Thomas Guide

Like so many other tasks, there's an app for directions to the courthouse these days.

6 - Shepardizing

Replaced by so many legal search engines, the old red books are as rare as the old blue books.

5 - West's Supplements

Those paper additions to the blue books had nothing to do with nutrition.

4 - Newspapers

The ink ran out about 10 years ago, when newspaper pages turned into webpages.

3 - Pagers

If you are still carrying a pager, you are not a lawyer. You're a doctor.

2 - Dial-Up Internet

Of course, you had to have a land line for that for service.

1 - Land Lines

If your car broke down and you were late to court, good luck finding a pay phone before the sanctions order.

Yeah, those were the good old days.

Want information on effective advertising? Let the experts at FindLaw's Lawyer Marketing give you a hand.

Related Resources:

Copied to clipboard