Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Alaska Car Accident Report Basics

Car accidents happen, even to the most careful drivers. While you can't always prevent fender-benders, you can educate yourself about your legal obligations following an accident. If you are wondering about what steps to take after a car accident, read on to learn more about how to file a car crash report in Alaska.

Your Reporting Obligation

If you are involved in a road accident in Alaska, you may have an obligation to report the accident to police, submit a written report to the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles, or both. If the accident was investigated by police, law enforcement has its own independent obligation to generate a report within 24 hours of the incident.

There are hefty penalties for not making a required report after an accident. Failure to do so may result in the state suspending your driving privileges until you file the report. Under Alaska law, failing to make a report is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $200, imprisonment for 90 days, or both. There is also strong motivation to be careful and accurate in any report that you do make. Giving false information in a car accident report is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 imprisonment of up to one year, or both.

Alaska Car Accident Report Basics at a Glance

The following chart provides more information about filing a car accident report in Alaska.


Alaska Statutes Sections 28.35.080, 28.35.090, and 28.35.110

When to Report

  • A car accident must be reported if it results in:
    • The bodily injury or death of any person (including a driver, passenger, or pedestrian/bystander)
    • Total property damage to an apparent extent of $2,000 or more
  • If a reportable accident was not investigated by the police, the driver must also file a written accident report
  • A report is not required from someone who is physically incapable of making the report due to incapacity

How to Report

  • If the accident occurred within a municipality, a driver must report the accident to the local police department
  • If the accident occurred in a rural area not included in a municipality, the driver must report the accident to the Department of Public Safety
  • The accident must be reported "immediately by the quickest means of communication"
  • If a written report is required, it must be submitted to the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles within 10 days of the accident

Note: State laws are always subject to change through the passage of new legislation, rulings in the higher courts (including federal decisions), ballot initiatives, and other means. While we strive to provide the most current information available, please consult an attorney or conduct your own legal research to verify the state law(s) you are researching.

Related Car Accident Resources

Get an Alaska Attorney's Help with Your Car Accident Case

Putting your life back together after a car accident is difficult, especially if you were injured. Depending on your circumstances, you may want to consider speaking with a professional about your car accident case to learn about your options. Get started by contacting a car accident attorney near you.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • A lawyer can help seek fair compensation on your behalf
  • Car accident claims are complex and insurance carriers have lawyers on their side

Get tailored legal advice and ask a lawyer questions about your accident. Many attorneys offer free consultations.


 If you need an attorney, find one right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options