Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Arkansas Car Accident Report Basics

Maybe you're cruising through the Ozark Highlands or stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic in Little Rock. Wherever your Arkansas car accident occurs, it's a stressful experience that can have significant consequences. So, it's important to know what you're required to do by law, both at the scene of the car crash and afterward. Read on to learn more about Arkansas car accident report basics.

Arkansas Car Accident Report Laws

In Arkansas, there are a number of things to keep in mind after a car accident. If the accident involves injury, death, or damage to property over $1,000, you must immediately notify local law enforcement and make yourself available to answer questions from investigating officers. You also have to file a report with the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (DFA). Police reports are not submitted to the DFA, so you should get a copy of the police report in order to include that information in your DFA report. You have 30 days to submit the DFA report unless your injuries prohibit you from doing so, in which case you can send the form in once you are able to do so.

How to File a Car Crash Report in Arkansas

To file the DFA accident report (the SR-1) you can fill out and submit the form online, by mail, or in person at a DFA revenue office. You'll need to provide personal identification information, a description of the accident, the other driver's information, and costs to repair the vehicles involved. If there are more than two cars involved, you should file an additional report for each additional car.

You'll also need to provide verification of financial responsibility such as liability insurance which meets the minimum state requirements. The insurance portion of the accident report must be completed by your insurance agent. Other ways to show financial responsibility are listed on the second page of the DFA form.

Arkansas Car Accident Report Laws at a Glance

The chart below provides a summary of state laws related to Arkansas car accident reports, including links to important code sections.


Law Enforcement Notification Required

  • Must notify police immediately if accident involves injury, death, or total property damage to an apparent extent of at least $1,000, regardless of who is at fault

Report Required

  • Must file report with DFA if accident involves injury, death, or damage to the property of any one person in excess of $1,000, regardless of who is at fault

Report Deadline

  • DFA report required within 30 days of the accident unless driver incapacitated

Who Must Report

  • Every driver involved in the accident
  • If driver is incapacitated but not the owner of the vehicle, the owner must file the report within five days of learning about the accident

Note: State regulations are always subject to change through the passage of new legislation, rulings in the higher courts (including federal decisions), ballot initiatives, and other means. While we strive to provide the most current information available, please consult an attorney or conduct your own legal research to verify the state law(s) you are researching.

Arkansas Car Accident Report Basics: Related Resources

Get Help from an Arkansas Car Accident Attorney

Car crashes are a frustrating but common occurrence. Unfortunately, they can have a significant impact on your finances and your health, with some resulting in lawsuits or even criminal charges. A car accident attorney can help with your report and and help you understand your legal options under Arkansas car accident report laws.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • A lawyer can help seek fair compensation on your behalf
  • Car accident claims are complex and insurance carriers have lawyers on their side

Get on-demand legal help during traffic stops and car accidents. TurnSignl is an app that connects you to an attorney in real-time.


Need legal advice after an accident? Most attorneys offer a free first call.

 Find an attorney right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options