Car accidents can lead to a wide range of injuries and damages. In some cases, a single car accident can not only result in vehicle damages. They can also result in out-of-pocket expenses, lost wages, and even pain and suffering.
While informing your car insurance company may help you obtain compensation for property damage, it's important to know that you may also be entitled to several other types of damages associated with the accident.
Before seeking compensation for your injuries, it's also important to make sure the deadline for filing a lawsuit has not passed under Connecticut's statute of limitations law.
Below, you'll find a table breaking down important aspects of Connecticut's car accident compensation laws, followed by detailed explanations of these laws.
Statute of Limitations
|The statute of limitations is two years for personal injury lawsuits.
Limits on Damages
|There is no limit on injury damages.
|There are no other limits.
Note: State laws are revised regularly. Therefore, you should contact an attorney or conduct your own legal research to confirm these laws.
Types of Damages in Car Accident Cases
In personal injury cases the term 'damages' refers to the costs associated with an accident awarded to the injured person. The amount of damages can be agreed upon at a settlement negotiation between the parties. It can also be decided by a judge or a jury during trial. Here is the list of different types of damages that are common in car accident cases:
- Property damages are recoverable if your vehicle, personal belongings, and any other items were damaged as a result of the car accident.
- Medical expenses include costs of medical services associated with the accident.
- Lost wages are damages that represent the amount of money you would have earned from the time of the injury to the date of settlement or judgment.
- Mental and physical pain and suffering are damages for past and future physical pain and suffering in connection with the accident.
- Double or treble damages may be awarded to the injured party if the other party operated the vehicle deliberately or with reckless disregard. Treble damages are damages three times the value of actual or compensatory damages. Double or treble damages are also known as "punitive damages." The purpose of awarding double or treble damages is to punish a defendant for their conduct.
Car Accident Damages Caps and Time Limits
Unlike some other states, Connecticut does not impose a cap on personal injury damages. However, there is a two-year time limit for filing a personal injury lawsuit in Connecticut. The two-year time limit starts from the date of your car accident. After two years, you won't be able to file a lawsuit. Read up on Connecticut's civil statute of limitations laws to learn more about the time limits on other types of cases.
Modified Comparative Negligence in Connecticut
Connecticut follows a modified comparative negligence principle when it comes to car accident compensation cases. Under this rule, you would be able to recover damages as long as you are less than 50% at fault. However, if you're 50% or more at fault, the court will not allow you to collect any damages.
Consider the following scenario as an example. You are suing a driver for damages arising out of a car accident. At trial, the jury decides the total amount of damages is $100,000. The jury also decides that you were 10% at fault, while the other driver is 90% at fault. In that case, you would be able to recover 90% of $100,000 of damages, which is $90,000.
Need More Help? Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer
Even a minor car accident may require detailed understanding of your state's personal injury laws. Seeking legal assistance from a lawyer may help you to avoid unfair settlements for damages and medical expenses. It will help you preserve your rights under Connecticut car accident compensation laws. To find out about your options, contact a personal injury lawyer near you.