Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

New York DWI Schools

New York has some of the toughest laws in the United States -- especially when it comes to driving under the influence (DUI/DWI) penalties. If you are charged with an alcohol or drug-related driving violation, the New York Department of Motor Vehicles is going to suspend your driving privilege.

Wait! What? I need to get to work. I have to pick the kids up from school. I need to drive to Jersey this weekend. Ok, ok, hold on there. Yes, if you are like most of us, you are very reliant on your car. It's totally understandable to be concerned, but a solution may be at hand.

Under certain circumstances in New York you can apply for a conditional license (PDF). There are a few stipulations, including enrollment in the state's Drinking Driver Program (DDP). The DMV or a judge will decide if you are eligible for this option, but you may also want to consult a DUI/DWI attorney.

What Can I Do with a Restricted License?

You can drive:

  • to and from work;
  • during work, if your job requires driving;
  • to and from school;
  • to transport your child to and from a childcare facility;
  • to and from DDP classes;
  • to and from court-ordered probation requirements;
  • to and from a DMV office for business pertaining to your restricted license;
  • during the three-hour weekly period designated on your restricted license; and
  • to and from a medical facility (for you or a family member).

Tell Me About the DDP Requirement

Ok, we will. Hope you like the classroom, because you are headed back to one. The DDP is comprised of seven sessions. The sessions are held once a week, and last between two to three hours -- for a total of 16 hours. The DDP addresses the consumption of alcohol and drugs, as well as traffic safety issues.

All participants in the DDP are screened for alcohol and/or drug abuse. If a potential problem is detected, you will be referred for further evaluation. You'll have to pick from a list of qualified providers.

However, most drivers will only have to complete the DDP. Here's a list of qualified providers in New York County. Call the individual program to learn about their particular enrollment procedures.

First Steps Urban Outreach, Inc.
465 E. Tremont Ave.
Bronx, NY 10457
(347) 270-9623
Classroom county locations: Bronx, New York

Metro NYC09
832 Marcy Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11216
(917) 572-9454
Classroom county locations: Kings, New York, Orange, Queens

Visions Human Development Co., LLC
1038-50 Ocean Ave, Suite A5
Brooklyn, NY 11226-7407
(866) 899-4086
Classroom county locations: Kings, New York

The Resource Training Center, Inc.
408 77th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11209
(718) 871-7433
Classroom locations: Staten Island, Ozone Park, Brooklyn

Enoch Recovery DDP Center
(917) 635-2875
180 East 118th Street
New York, New York 10035
122 West 26th St. Suite 603
New York, NY 10001
Classroom county locations: Bronx, New York, Westchester

Jackson DDP, LLC
316-322 E. 149 St., Suite 2-8
Bronx, NY 10451
(914) 356-0463
Classroom county locations: Bronx, Queens, Westchester, New York

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • Complex DUI situations usually require a lawyer
  • DUI defense attorneys can challenge Breathalyzer/Intoxilyzer or blood test results
  • A lawyer can seek to reduce or eliminate DUI penalties
  • A lawyer can help get your license back

Get tailored advice and ask your legal questions. Many attorneys offer free consultations.


 If you need an attorney, find one right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options