Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Cohabitation and Property

The most common legal problems that come up in cohabitation situations outside of marriage or other familial bonds relate to money and property. Much like when a marriage breaks up, people living together who decide to split up face practical questions such as: Who remains liable for money owed on a lease?, or What happens to money that has been combined into a single account? What about household items purchased together? Despite one’s optimism that problems will not arise, it always makes sense to plan for the worst or at least understand the risks involved. This sub-section provides information to help those living together make smart decisions concerning money and property.

Learn About Cohabitation and Property

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • Family law matters are often complex and require a lawyer
  • Lawyers can protect your rights and seek the best outcome

Get tailored family law advice and ask a lawyer questions. Many attorneys offer free consultations.


 If you need an attorney, find one right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options