Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Exchange Visitor Visas

The exchange visitor program provides foreign nationals opportunities to take part in the United States' artistic, educational, and scientific exchanges. It helps promote international cooperation and cultural understanding among nations.

This article provides a comprehensive overview of the complexities of the exchange visitor program. It underscores its significance and the steps to apply to this program.

What Is the Exchange Visitor Program?

The exchange visitor program is an educational and cultural initiative. It intends to promote mutual understanding among foreign nationals and people in the United States through exchanges in education and culture. It plays an integral part in cultivating cultural awareness and building global connections. It also highlights the importance of international exchange of ideas and cooperation.

Exchange visitors are foreign nationals who travel to the U.S. through the Exchange Visitor Program. They take part in the programs designated by the U.S. Department of State. Some examples of exchange visitors are the following:

  • Trainees
  • People in summer work travel programs
  • People in au pair programs
  • Camp counselors
  • Students
  • Teachers
  • Physicians
  • Specialists
  • Professors or scholars
  • Research assistants
  • International visitors

How Are J-1 Visas and Q Visas Different?

The program has two visa categories for its participants: J-1 or Q visas. The J visa is for those intending to take part in a program that promotes an interchange of knowledge and skills in arts, education, and science. The programs conduct research, consult, instruct, lecture, study, graduate medical education, or prove particular skills. The U.S. Department of State designates public or private entities to take part in the exchange visitor program. In turn, entities designated by the State Department sponsor the J-1 visa program participants.

The Q visa is for those looking to take part in an international cultural exchange. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) approves cultural exchange programs. These programs provide employment and practical training, sharing the culture, history, and traditions of the participant's home country with the United States.

Eligibility for Exchange Visitors

Applicants for exchange visitor visas should meet specific educational and financial requirements. These requirements vary depending on the visa category that you are applying for. For instance, J visas require enough funds or sponsorship, educational preparation, and English language ability. Meanwhile, Q visa participants must show an ability to communicate cultural attributes and be 18 years old.

The following are background requirements for J and Q exchange visitor visas:

Financial Resources

Visitors applying for J visas must have enough funds for all expenses. Or they must have funds covered by the sponsoring organization (scholarship or other stipend). Visitors applying for Q visas must receive payment from their employing sponsor at the same rate as domestic workers.


J visa applicants must have adequate educational preparation for the program. Thus includes English language skills, unless the program accommodates non-English speaking participants. Q visa applicants must be able to communicate the cultural attributes of their country. They also must be at least 18 years old. In some cases, the visa applicants need to be a part of a training program for cultural exchange.

Medical Training

Exchange visitor visa participants under the J program for graduate-level medical training/education must pass the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination Medical Sciences, be competent in English, be subject to the two-year foreign residence rule, and be subject to time limits about the program. Those coming to the U.S. for teaching, research, observation, or consultation — where there is virtually no patient care — are exempt from those requirements.

Forms and Petitions

To be eligible for the J visa program, applicants must present a Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (Form DS-2019), which the sponsoring organization prepares. A consular officer often oversees this step in the visa application process in the applicant's home country. To be eligible for the Q visa program, applicants must have the sponsoring organization submit a Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker (Form I-129) with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Admission to the U.S.

A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at the port of entry determines whether you can stay in the country. Upon arrival, the CBP officer will stamp and endorse your Record of Arrival-Departure (I-94), indicating the period they can stay in the country.

J-1 Visa Application

The U.S. Department of State is integral to the administration of the J-1 exchange visitor program. The first step in becoming a J-1 visa holder is to apply to an exchange visitor program through a sponsoring organization. If accepted, the institution will register you in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). You must work closely with your program sponsor, who will help you process your application.

Q Visa Application

To take part in a Q cultural exchange visa, you should be at least 18. You should also qualify to perform training, labor, or service. You should also be able to communicate the cultural attributes of your home country to the American audience.

Only qualified employers or designated agents may hire foreign nationals under Q visas. The qualified employer should file a Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker (Form I-129) with the USCIS office. The petition should include a description of the position. It should also include evidence that the employer maintains a cultural exchange program. The employer should also submit proof that the program happens in an establishment where the public shares a common cultural interest. This can either be in museums, schools, or similar establishments.

Steps to Apply for Exchange Visitor Visa

There are various ways you can apply for an exchange visitor visa. The order of the steps and how you should complete the form may vary depending on the U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate where you file your visa application. The following are the general guidelines on how to apply for an exchange visitor visa:

  1. Complete the visa application online. You should complete a Nonimmigrant Visa Application Online (Form DS-160). After completion, you should print the confirmation page of your application and bring the printed copy when you attend your visa interview. You also have to upload your recent identification picture to complete the form. The U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs has specific photo requirements. You can check the details on its website.
  2. Schedule a visa interview. The visa interview is a general requirement for U.S. visa applications. You may schedule your visa appointment at the U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate in your home country. It is important to remember that the waiting period for visa appointments may vary depending on the visa category, country, and season. So, scheduling your visa interview as soon as possible is best.
  3. Prepare and attend your visa interview. You have to gather all the documents required before your interview. This includes your passport, Form DS-160 confirmation page, receipt of application fee, photographs, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status (Form DS-2109), or Training/Internship Placement Plan (Form DS-7002) if applicable. The consular officer may also request more documents showing proof of the purpose of your trip, your intention to leave the U.S. after the program, and your ability to pay for the travel costs.
  4. Decision by the consular officer. The consular officer will assess your qualifications to receive the exchange visitor visa. After your interview, the consular officer will decide whether to approve your application or if it needs further administrative processing. Sometimes, the consular officer may also ask for a visa issuance fee. If they approve your exchange visitor visa, they will ask you to arrange the return of your passport. The arrangement can be through mail, courier, or appearance at pick-up locations.

Family of Exchange Visitor Visa Holders

If you have a J-1 exchange visitor visa, your spouse and unmarried children may apply for a J-2 visa classification. J-2 visa is a nonimmigrant visa issued to the spouse and dependents of J-1 visa holders. But, not all dependents of J-1 visa holders may apply for a J-2 visa. For instance, J-1 visa holders in exchange categories of au pair, secondary school student, and summer work travel do not allow J-2 visas.

With this visa, your spouse and children may apply for employment authorization. But, they should file an Application for Employment Authorization (Form I-765) before getting this employment benefit. Note that the income of your family members under a J-2 visa can't support you.

But, family members of Q nonimmigrant visa holders can't get the same benefits. They do not have the same provision for their spouses or children to go with them to the United States. So, if you have a Q visa and want your family members with you, they must qualify independently for a nonimmigrant visa.

Period of Stay

Those with a J-1 visa can go to the U.S. for the duration of their J-1 visa status. The duration of status is the length of the J-1 visa program plus 30 days.

For instance, college or university students may stay for as long as the time needed to complete their practical training or academic program. But they should stay for the duration of the program at most. Trainees can stay 18 months, and interns can stay 12 months. Professors and research scholars may stay for the time necessary to complete the program and up to five years.

Meanwhile, for the Q cultural exchange program, the initial period of stay allowed is up to 15 months. You are given 30 days to leave the country and must stay for one year outside of the U.S. before you can apply for a Q visa again.

Two-Year Home Country Physical Presence Rule

When you agree to take part in the program as an exchange visitor visa holder, the U.S. government may ask to give you restrictions. This restriction includes the two-year home residency rule. You must return and stay in your home country for two years after completing your exchange visitor program. This rule is based on the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) Section 212(e). It applies if your exchange visitor program falls under the following conditions:

  • Government-funded exchange program
  • Specialized knowledge or skills
  • Graduate medical education or training

The two-year country physical presence program restricts your ability to change or adjust your status, receive an immigrant visa, or receive a temporary worker visa, fiance, or intracompany transfer visa.

Seek Legal Advice

Processing a U.S. visa application may feel daunting and overwhelming. This is particularly true about understanding the process for an exchange visitor program. There are requirements and rules under the U.S. immigration laws that may apply differently in each case. That is why it is best to seek legal advice from an experienced immigration attorney.

An immigration attorney can help you navigate the nuances of J-1 and Q visa processing. They can also help you understand your eligibility and the visa waivers that may apply to your case. Their experience in the field can help you address the challenges you may encounter, such as visa denials or complications with the visa requirements. Talk to your immigration law attorney now to learn more.


Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified immigration attorney to help you with visa procedures.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options