Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Workers' Compensation: Questions and Answers

Here's the sitatuion. You've been hurt on the job through no fault of your own. You are in pain and the last thing you want to think about is legal jargon and technicalities in the law -- especially workers' compensation law. While having to sort through your state's laws isn't fun, hopefully reading the information below will help make it onerous. And once you are done with this article, consider speaking with a local attorney who can answer your lingering questions.

Q: What should I do if I'm injured on the job?

There are three things to do if you are injured on the job:

  1. Report the injury to your supervisor immediately;
  2. Request to see a doctor; and
  3. Request and complete a workers' compensation claim form.

Until you report the injury and the claim form is returned to your employer, they're under no obligation to provide you with benefits. A common mistake people make is waiting to report the injury until it becomes unbearable and they can no longer work.

While it's still possible to pursue the claim, the delay in reporting creates serious problems in getting the benefits started. Prompt reporting and immediate medical care ensures that the workers' compensation benefits aren't delayed while you're off work with no income.

Q: Do I have to receive medical treatment from the company doctor?

If you are injured on the job, you have a right to medical treatment. Whether you must use the company doctor and, if so, for how long will vary by state. You may, for example, be required to use the company doctor for the first month of treatment, but then have the option of choosing your doctor after that.

You may also be able to change company doctors if you're not happy with your treatment. Your state might also grant you the right to select a doctor in advance for treating any industrial injury.

Q: What benefits am I entitled to?

Generally, you're entitled to four basic benefits:

  • Medical treatment: with the insurance company covering the bills for all treatment reasonably required to cure or alleviate the effects of the injury;
  • Disability payments: if you are temporarily unable to work while recovering. This is a partial compensation for lost wages;
  • Permanent disability settlement: if the injury causes permanent impairment or restrictions, with compensation based on the significance of the disability; and
  • Vocational rehabilitation: or paid training in new employment if you can't return to your usual job and the company has no alternative or modified work you can do.

Q: Who pays the benefits?

A common misconception is that states pay out workers' compensation benefits when, in fact, it is private insurance companies. Employers are required by law to carry workers' compensation insurance to cover employees in case they are injured on the job. Much like personal auto or fire insurance claims, workers' compensation claims are handled by an adjuster from the insurance company and the company pays out any benefits.

Q: Can I be fired while I'm on workers' compensation?

The basic rule is that if you are temporarily disabled on workers' compensation, the employer may not discriminate against you by termination or lay-off. One exception to the rule might be if it is clear through medical evidence that you'll be unable to return to your usual occupation. Another exception is, if your employer needs to replace your position because of business necessity, though the burden on the employer is very high, so they may instead hire a temporary employee rather than replace you.

Q: What if I'm injured and can't return to my usual job?

Specific state laws will vary, but, the general rule is that your employer can offer you a modified or alternative position with the possibility of slightly reduced pay, depending on the job. If you refuse the accommodation, the insurance company may not be obligated to provide further job placement or training assistance.

If your employer has no modified or alternate employment available, they'll often need to provide you with vocational rehabilitation benefits. Vocational rehabilitation is designed to get you back into the labor force either through direct placement or retraining to another occupation. Your skills will be assessed and you'll be involved in choosing a new occupation and training school.

Q: Do I have an overlooked industrial injury?

Many work-related injuries occurring on the job go overlooked by the injured employee. These include:

  • Hearing loss: Exposure to loud noises over an extended period of time, even with hearing protection, creates a gradual loss of hearing.
  • Lung problems: Exposure to industrial chemicals over an extended time damages the lungs and causes breathing problems.
  • Heart attacks: Work stress can cause an attack even away from the job.
  • Hand injuries: Repetitive hand movements in many occupations can leads to wrist pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, or nerve damage.
  • Hernias and back pain: Lifting heavy objects and other physical exertion can put a strain on your torso.
  • Eye injuries: Airborne irritants and eye strain can significantly impact vision.

Any injuries caused in whole or in part by working conditions or accidents may be potentially covered by workers' compensation. If you need help assessing whether your injury is eligible for benefits, start by contacting an experienced attorney who specializes in this field.

Have Specific Questions About Workers' Compensation? Talk to a Lawyer

Be sure to speak with an attorney if you have questions or believe you're not getting fair compensation. If your injury was caused by employer negligence or an intentional act, you may want to consider filing a lawsuit. A local workers' compensation lawyer can assist with all of your questions and needs about your rights.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified workers' compensation attorney to make sure your rights are protected.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options